Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lkwjochen
Novice
Liked: never

Replica from Copy Job?

Post by lkwjochen »

Hi, it's me again. :)

Veeam B&R can use backups as source for replication tasks. That's well documented. Because I (theoretically) already have all the data I need on the replication site from a copy job I wonder if I could use/set the already available copied data as replication source. Or is this an unsupported scenario?

Regards
lkwjochen
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2285 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Replica from Copy Job?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Yes you can. It‘s very well documented :)
Backup copys are restore points in a backup repository, like normal backups from a backup job.

You are plan to use already copied restore points in the replication site is the best way to use this feature :)

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
Replica from backup is performed with a regular replication job. When you set up a replication job, you define a backup repository with VM backups as a source of data.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
lkwjochen
Novice

Post by lkwjochen »

Thank you for the fast reply. I already gave it a try and it works like a charm. :)
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

No problem,
Happy to help :)
JosueM
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Josue Maldonado

Post by JosueM »

Hello, is there a way to scheduled the replication job so it can run automatic after a successful backup copy ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Josue, yes, you can trigger it as a post-job activity script. Please note, however, that in case of a backup copy, post-activity is triggered upon sync interval expiration, not immediately after the backup is created.
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM »

Hello Foggy, thanks for reply.

Will check to documentations about scripting on veeam.

Regards
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM »

just browsing the docs found this https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100 it looks like it can be done natively or am I not understanding this properly?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi Josue,

Are you looking for the way to run a backup copy job after successful backup or to run a replication job as you were asking before?
The document you've found is about Backup copy jobs.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Right, I've been talking about this functionality.
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM »

Natalia Lupacheva wrote: Aug 28, 2020 2:53 pm Hi Josue,

Are you looking for the way to run a backup copy job after successful backup or to run a replication job as you were asking before?
The document you've found is about Backup copy jobs.

Thanks!
Hello Natalia, what we are finally trying to achieve is:
1. backup job BJ_A from production VM to local backup repository.
2. after sucessful BJ_A then backup copy job BCJ_B from backup job BJ_A to a remote backup repository.
3. after sucessful BCJ_B then replication job from BCJ_B on the remote site to have a spare vm ready for fail.

Thanks.
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM » 1 person likes this post

foggy wrote: Aug 28, 2020 3:02 pm Right, I've been talking about this functionality.
great! thank you.
mmondor
Novice
Full Name: Mark Mondor

Post by mmondor »

Is a license required on the repo server where the backup job is copied to to create the replication job?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

License key is only required when processing source VMs (aka VMs residing on the hypervisor). Running replication jobs from backups does not require additional licenses since you've already assigned a key to the source VM by a backup job. Thanks!
siranee.ja
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by siranee.ja »

JosueM wrote: Aug 28, 2020 3:45 pm Hello Natalia, what we are finally trying to achieve is:
1. backup job BJ_A from production VM to local backup repository.
2. after sucessful BJ_A then backup copy job BCJ_B from backup job BJ_A to a remote backup repository.
3. after sucessful BCJ_B then replication job from BCJ_B on the remote site to have a spare vm ready for fail.

Thanks.
Hi Josue,
Are you success to do these steps?
As I try on veeam 10 , the replication process can not success unless the source are backup files not the backup copy files.
If you have the success result, please kindly suggest me how to.

Best Regards,
Siranee Jaraswachirakul.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Siranee, this shouldn't depend on the what job has produced the backup files. Could you please describe your setup in a bit more details? What specific issues are you seeing with replication? Thanks!
siranee.ja
Enthusiast

Post by siranee.ja »

Hi foggy,

I setup as following:
1. I have 2 esxi evaluation license.
2. I setup one vm linuxtest07 as production vm, one vm with veeam 10 community license.
3. I set up veeam10 drive C:\Backup as default backup repo and drive E:\Backups as local drive E repo
4. I create backup job for the linuxtest07 to local drive E repo (E:\Backups) and run successfully
5. I create backup copy job for the linuxtest07 to default backup repo (C:\Backup) and link to the backup job linuxtest07 as secondary target and run successfully.
6. I create the replicate job and select souce of vm to option From backup files (latest vm state available in backups)
and choose radio button on local drive E repo (E:\Backups) and run successfully then I deleted the replica
7. I edit the replicate job and select souce of vm to option From backup files (latest vm state available in backups)
and choose radio button on default backup repo (C:\Backup). The job errors as "9/2/2020 3:23:02 PM :: Task failed. Error: VM 'linuxtest07' not found in backup for initial sync "

Best Regards,
Siranee Jaraswachirakul.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Have you tried creating a new replication job with the source from the required repository? If that doesn't work, please contact technical support for a closer look. You should be able to use backups produced by the backup copy jobs as a source for your replication.
siranee.ja
Enthusiast

Post by siranee.ja »

Hi foggy,
30 minutes ago , I ran both backup and backup copy job and they still success.
1. I created new replication and choose source vm from repo of backup job the result success (this time I didn't check any option of seeding) the result start with "9/8/2020 3:00:56 PM :: Replicating restore point 9/8/2020 2:42:11 PM from backup repository LOCAL DRIVE E REPO " ... untill Processing finished at 9/8/2020 3:03:31 PM

2.I created new replication and choose source vm from repo of backup copy job the result still failed. the error are " 9/8/2020 3:01:55 PM :: No restore points found
9/8/2020 3:01:55 PM :: Processing finished with errors at 9/8/2020 3:01:55 PM
siranee.ja
Enthusiast

Post by siranee.ja » 1 person likes this post

Hi foggy,
I already open the Case #04375678.
siranee.ja
Enthusiast

Post by siranee.ja »

Hi, foggy.

From veeam support
"
I think that we are seeing the following limitation of a replication job:

Limitations for Replica from Backup:

A backup that you plan to use for replication must be mapped to a backup job on the backup server where you configure the replication job.

We are not able to use a backup copy job as the source for a replication job. This decision was made due to the "always active" copy interval nature of the backup copy jobs and the inevitable issues that would arise with a replication job processing from such a source.
"

What should I do next?
Best Regards,
Siranee Jaraswachirakul.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

That doesn't sound true - I'm not aware of any recent changes to that functionality and the very same help page still mentions that the backup copy job can also be used as a replica source. Please double-check with the engineer.
siranee.ja
Enthusiast

Post by siranee.ja » 1 person likes this post

Hi foggy,
From veeam support :

My apologies, I should have clarified further, Backup copy jobs that use the "immediate" method are not able to be used currently for the source of replication jobs:

Can I please get you to check and make sure that this is the limitation that you are currently seeing? We are planning on providing support for this configuration in future versions but currently it is not available.
"
After I changed the Backup copy job mode from "immediate" to "Periodic copy". It work like a charm.

Thank you.
Siranee Jaraswachirakul
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for the update. I've checked with QA - this is actually a bug and it is already addressed in Veeam B&R v10a update. Replication works from backups produced by both Immediate and Peioridc backup copies. Thanks!
siranee.ja
Enthusiast

Post by siranee.ja »

Hi foggy,
I just found the cons of replicate from the Copy job. The backup copy data couldn't check with Surebackup. How we know the backup copy data is correct?

Thank you.
Siranee Jaraswachirakul
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

You can create a SureReplica Job, if you are on vSphere.

If the sureReplica job is sucessfull, backup copy data should be ok too.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Also, if you're testing source backups (those created by the regular backup job, that backup copy uses as a source) and do a health check in backup copy, then you're good since backup copy creates a bit-identical copy of backups.
siranee.ja
Enthusiast

Post by siranee.ja »

Hi foggy,
I am quite hesistate about your last replied. I still didn't use backup copy as a source of replication. Last Case # 04692934 Full vm restore failed from the restore point in backup copy job, I found something strange. I think I should wait to see when it will happen again.
Best Regards
Siranee Jaraswachirakul.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I can see that you're working on this issue with our engineers - let's see. It could be a storage-related problem.
siranee.ja
Enthusiast

Post by siranee.ja »

Hi foggy,
with Case #04719560.
I think I found the root cause of this problem.
I had tested many cases with the storage-related problem but it was not.
It's about the networking problem.
If I used full vm restore and chose option disconnected the network, the restore result was failed.
If I used full vm restore and chose option connected the nework, the restore result was success.
It is only happend on the production veeam server whiched upgraded from v.9 to v.10
I tested with the test veeam server which new install with v.10 didn't have this problem.
Best Regards
Siranee Jaraswachirakul.