Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
panzer
Service Provider
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Stig Hanssen

MSSQL backup

Post by panzer »

Hi.
What are things to consider when designing backup of MSSQL-servers running on AHV? There is no transaction consistent approach like in Veeam for VMware og Hyper-V, so restoring an SQL-server will give me a corrupt database as far as I can see.
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 131 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: MSSQL backup

Post by ronnmartin61 » 1 person likes this post

If Nutanix guest tools are installed on the VM they should trigger a VSS snapshot when we run our agentless AHV backup however we would encourage you to test. If you want full log grooming capabilities consider using the Veeam Windows agent.
panzer
Service Provider

Post by panzer »

NGT is running with VSS enabled on the SQL-servers. I have restored databases from different servers, and mounted them on a test server. DBCC CHECKDB runs OK on some of them, while others fail with error messages like "Table error: Object ID 0, index ID -1, partition ID 0, alloc unit ID 0 (type Unknown), page ID (1:342877) contains an incorrect page ID in its page header. The PageId in the page header = (0:0)". So now I don't know which one of my SQL restores will be corrupt. I was hoping not to have to manage backup agents for all my SQL-serveres.
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software

Post by ronnmartin61 » 1 person likes this post

Have you checked your setup against https://portal.nutanix.com/page/documen ... -wc-r.html? Perhaps VSS snapshots aren't being initiated by NGT for some reason.
panzer
Service Provider

Post by panzer » 1 person likes this post

I configured a Protection Group in Nutanix and enabled VSS on it, as instructed in https://portal.nutanix.com/page/documen ... -wc-r.html

It now looks like restore of a database from one server in the production group is OK. This will help me a lot. However, I am still considering using Veeam Agent on the SQL-servers to be able to configure log backup and log trunc. I really miss these functions from my Veeam/VMware system. Veeam for AHV is a bit disappointing.
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software

Post by ronnmartin61 »

We're continuing to work with the Nutanix data protection team to establish a facility that allows us to interact with their NGT VSS provider but right now there's no committed timeline