Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
c.haydock
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Craig Haydock

Protection Group Rescan after 10a upgrade - File In Use By Another Process

Post by c.haydock »

I have a protection group that has 2 physical servers in it. Up until today everything has been fine. Today I upgraded from 10 to 10a and all the other components upgraded just fine, but when I try to rescan the protection group so that I can upgrade the agents, they scan fails. Both servers pop up with this in the task window:
Cannot connect to <ServerName> Details: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
Thinking it may have been a problem with the upgrade, I did a repair to no avail. I rebooted the VBR server and the agent servers without any change. I then on a whim triggered the backup jobs that they were assigned to... at which point the job indicated that they needed to be upgraded and actually processed the backup. However, when I then subsequently attempt to upgrade the agent, I'm presented with:
Unable to upgrade backup agent: cannot connect to <ServerName> Details: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
For the short term it's not a huge deal because at least it can still process the backup jobs. However, I would like to upgrade the agents at some point... so any help on this would be very much appreciated.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Protection Group Rescan after 10a upgrade - File In Use By Another Process

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Craig,

it surely does look abnormal and taking a fact that reboots were performed, it will be best to see what support thinks about it.
Feel free to open a ticket at my.veeam.com and share case ID here.

/Thanks!
c.haydock
Influencer

Post by c.haydock »

Opened support case #04396430

As an update to the above. I made a bit of a boo-boo... I thought perhaps there was something going on goofy with the old agent that was preventing everything from working properly. So, I went to the server and uninstalled the agent, then installed the latest agent. That part went fine. But, when I tried to re-scan after that I got the exact same error. And what's worse is now that it's a fresh install, the agent doesn't recognize that it's being managed. The local agent is now showing the old un-managed job to USB storage from the initial install over 6 months ago before the VBR server was established rather than hiding itself like it normally does when it's being managed.
c.haydock
Influencer

Post by c.haydock »

Well... in true form... when in doubt... REBOOT! :)

After having installed the new agent on the servers and failing the scan, it also failed to run the job to no surprise. But, after rebooting both the protected server and the VBR server, the subsequent attempted job run did actually work! It still failed the rescan on the VBR server though. Also, on the protected server, the Veeam agent no longer showed the old manual jobs. The local console showed that it was being managed... but the console itself was still visible. Feeling froggy... I rebooted both of them again. The next go around the local Veeam Agent console was completely gone per normal behavior when being managed. The job was able to be manually run just as before, and this time THE RESCAN SUCCEEDED! :D

The second server is still in the ditch because I haven't tried to do the same steps on it yet. The other server isn't able to be rebooted multiple times during the day. So, I'll give a stab at it later this evening. Assuming it works, I'll close the support case and chalk it up as a fluke.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for update!
Please do let us know how it goes with other machines, it is when they get a chance for reboots.
/Cheers!
c.haydock
Influencer

Post by c.haydock »

TL;DR: All is now well.

On the second server I was able to remove the old agent, reboot it, install the new agent, successfully conduct a rescan which put it into a weird management status of sorts, rebooted it a second time which upon logging in spat out an error from Veeam saying it couldn't do something because it was being centrally managed. I then did another rescan which then said it had to repair the agent install... but when it finished it said it "failed." I suspect that it was because it also said the agent/protected server needed to be rebooted... which I did.

When it came back up from this 3rd reboot there were no error messages upon login this time. I ran yet another rescan of the server and this time it passed with flying colors. I then tested taking a backup of the server and that failed. To no surprise, the backup job complained that the Change Block Tracking map was changed for the volumes on the server. But the failure wasn't about CBT... it was an authority error... "No authority could be contacted for authentication." I've seen this one before and was reported to have been an issue with contacting the Domain Controller (of which there are 2 online). So... I just kicked it off again to see what may happen. This time "Job has failed unexpectedly... Managed session <jibberish string> has failed." So... I rebooted both the agent/protected server and the VBR server.

After both were rebooted, just for good measure I ran a rescan of the agent server which was successful. I then once again kicked off the backup job. It once again spat out that CBT map for the volumes changed... but started processing much like before. This time however... It finished. An hour and a half later having read through 4TB of data and transferring less than 3 GB of backup data (which I have to admit was comical to see the compression reported as ">999x"), the job had finished with warnings about the CBT map.

Now, with a CBT map change error it will often times clear on the subsequent run. But, I've also had a standalone agent give this error repeatedly to no end which was only resolvable by removing the Veeam CBT driver. As this is a managed server, I know how to manually remove it, but I'm not clear how to tell VBR to ignore auto-adding the CBT driver back on the server on the subsequent rescan. So, I crossed my fingers hoping for a successful followup job and kicked it off again. This time... Success! No CBT warnings and the job finished in under 5 minutes. Order has been restored! :)

So... 4 reboots of the agent server this time instead of just 2, and only 1 reboot of the VBR server. That was a bit painful, but ultimately (thankfully) came out the other side of it alive. Time to close out my support ticket. :D