PowerShell script exchange
KeiichiKun
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

Export incremental backup to different location than original one

Post by KeiichiKun »

Hi all,
I've used those powershell command to export an incremental backup to a different location than the original one

Add-PSSnapin VeeamPSSnapin
$backup = Get-VBRBackup -name "MY JOB NAME"
$restorepoint = Get-VBRRestorePoint -Backup $backup
Export-VBRBackup -RestorePoint $restorepoint[2] -Dir "\\SERVER\SHARE"

In this case, the third incremental backup of the chain has been exported to \\SERVER\SHARE, but ONLY the incremental.
Is that normal?
I don't think I can restore the vm or files from vm without full backup+incremental.
So, this export is virtually unuseful?

Thanks
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Export incremental backup to different location than original one

Post by Natalia Lupacheva » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

Did you expect this script to export the whole backup chain?
In that case, try with Export-VBRBackup -Backup option.

Please also pay attention to this:
Since this cmdlet is no rocket science and literally copies backups specified, you might as well use native Copy-Item to transfer .vbm file if Export-VBRBackup fails in your case.
Export-VBRBackup is not deprecated yet, but if it does not help with your requests, it is better to use Copy-Item.

Thanks!
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Adding to Natalia's point,

What do you mean by export? If you want to just copy items, it's either Export-VBRBackup -Backup or Copy-Item.
Export-VBRBackup -Backup spares you from parsing a whole backup chain. That's it.
If you want to explicitly use Export Backup feature in Powershell, it's rather Export-VBRRestorePoint you are looking for.

Thanks!
KeiichiKun
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

Post by KeiichiKun »

My need was to have a usable backup at that specific point, without having all the incremental.
I thought that a command that export a specific restore point could create a usable backup, maybe joining full and incremental to have a full functional backup at that specific point.
I've exported full backup chain copying directly file, everything was fine
But, my two cents, it could be a lot useful have possibility to export a backup to a different location directly from the gui!
Thanks for your help!
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

I thought that a command that export a specific restore point could create a usable backup, maybe joining full and incremental to have a full functional backup at that specific point.
That's the whole point of Get-VBRRestorePoint cmdlet.
But, my two cents, it could be a lot useful have possibility to export a backup to a different location directly from the gui!
If it comes to copying backup files like you just did, it's possible to copy them to a different location with VBR Files pane. The whole File Explorer logic is implemented in there.

As for export feature, it was decided initially to put a synthesized backup beside the relevant chain. I noted your suggestion, though.

Thanks!
Oleg