Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
taalas
Novice
Liked: never

Best practice for off-site backups

Post by taalas »

Hi!

I recently started implementing Veeam B&R (4 VMs) in addition to the Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows FREE (5 Workstations) in our SMB. Both systems backup to a SMB share on a QNAP NAS. The agents will possibly be migrated to B&R agents in the future.

We would now like to implement an off-site backup and different options present themselves:

- Use software on the NAS to make copies of the backup files on a cloud storage
- Use Veeam B&R with cloud storage and backup jobs from there

Do you have any recommendations as to which way would make more sense to implement? I read that Amazon S3 can be used directly as a backup location, Glacier as a tape backup?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Best practice for off-site backups

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The direct backup to an object storage is not available but I'd recommend to consider Copy policy to offload existing backup data from on-premises repository to cloud-based object storage.
As a result you get redundant copies of backups in different locations and you reduce the workload on the production environment by using already existing backups as a source of data.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Do you have a paid license for VB&R? If so, what edition does it have? Thanks!
taalas
Novice
Liked: never

Post by taalas »

PetrM wrote: Sep 16, 2020 11:56 am As a result you get redundant copies of backups in different locations and you reduce the workload on the production environment by using already existing backups as a source of
That sounds very promising. I guess this would work with S3 or Glacier and would depend on how quickly we would need to have access to the data? Since upload is very slow the initial upload might take a while. I have read that B&R will only use the backup window and continue the upload in the next window? Will the full backup only be transmitted once...or periodically? As I currently have a separate backup job for every VM: do the copy jobs of each interfere with each other?

@veremin:
We currently use the Community Edition.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Upload is incremental-forever: only unique blocks are transferred. Any block that has already been transferred to object storage will never be uploaded again. However, object storage integration does require a paid license. Thanks!