Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Gillyweed
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Q about multiple servers accessing each other's repository

Post by Gillyweed »

Hi! I'm a new user setting up a multiple site architecture and could use some assistance with planning it out. We have 2 production sites, each with their own Veeam server running Veeam Backup and Recovery 10 (vmware and on prem clients) and repository (local with SOBR offload to Azure blob), as well as an Azure based disaster recovery site running Veeam Backup for Azure. I would like all 3 servers to be able to read the repositories of the other servers, allowing recovery at any of the three sites.

This is what i'm trying to accomplish:

Site1: (server / repository)
veeamprod1 / localrepo1 >>SOBR>> azurerepo1
(read access) azurerepo2
(read access) azurerepoDR
veeamprod2 / localrepo2 >>SOBR>> azurerepo2
(read access) azurerepo1
(read access) azurerepoDR
veeamazureDR / azurerepoDR
(read access) azurerepo1
(read access) azurerepo2

Do i set the read only repositories as external (the wizard has only veeam backup for azure and aws options, not VBR), or so i need to do it another way?
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Q about multiple servers accessing each other's repository

Post by soncscy »

Hey Gillyweed,

If I get your setup correctly, you want to ensure that the Object Storage repos are accessible from each site?

This is doable in as long as it takes to create a new Object Storage Repository on the desired server, use the same Azure credentials, and select the same bucket/folder. I've done this with quite a few clients and the process is seamless. Just add the Object Storage, without a scale out repo to attach them to, and you're ready to access the backups on Azure within seconds.

For the local non-Azure repositories, again, as long as there's a connection between the sites, this is as simple as just ensuring there's a link between the sites, adding the host for these Repositories, and then letting the backups import.

Having it "live" (e.g., having the repositories added immediately to all sites) has almost always resulted in issues with my clients, and it's been PEBKAC each time. I advise against it and specifically write against it in disaster recovery plans I help develop because frankly, I just can't trust my clients to not misuse the repositories :D
Gillyweed
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Re: Q about multiple servers accessing each other's repository

Post by Gillyweed »

Thanks soncscy,

Yes, each site needs to read/write its own repo, and read to the others. Not a big deal if they have read/write to the other stores, something for another day. :)

Thank you for the clarification, I was afraid there would be conflicts between them and didn't find anything pro/con in the documentation. I didn't want to corrupt something and make more trouble for myself. I'm in the process of setting up a test environment so should be able to test that out in a few days.

I also see the PEBKAC issue. Backups going to the wrong repository can create a lot of excess/unwanted wan traffic, missing local copies, etc. Seeding the first repository was bad enough on bandwidth. There's two of us that will be managing veeam, so it will be easy to find the culprit. :D

Thanks!