Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
tobiascapin
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tobia Scapin

Information about S3 storage

Post by tobiascapin »

Dear,
I have just setup my Veeam Backup v.10 for my vmware infrastructure, it has about 8VM for a full backup of 2.5GB and a daily incremental of 50GB.
I have a 100Mbit simmetric Internet connection and I would like to have a cloud storage as secondary/copy backup but I'm a bit concerned about the bandwith.

First of all I would like to understand if I can use S3 as copy storage with my Veaam Backup Standard license, then is it possibile to create a job to transfer daily incrementals only creating a syntetic full on S3 side? What do I need? A machine on AWS and another license for Veeam Agent?

Alternatively could I use S3 just as a storage? Would it be simpler?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Information about S3 storage

Post by Gostev »

Hello, for S3 object storage integration you need Enterprise edition or higher. Thanks!
tobiascapin
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tobia Scapin

Post by tobiascapin »

Hi Gostev, thanks for your reply. Let's say we will update the license.
What is a solution for my requirement?
With a 100Mbit I cannot upload a full backup once a week, my full backup is 2.5TB (sorry, in my previous message I miss the measure unit) , what is a common scenario for this situation?
Is there a remote agent to install on cloud side (AWS) to create a syntetic full from incrementals?

Thanks
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi, SOBR Capacity Tier (Object Storage) works with a Incremental Forever approach.
Please read through this documentation (even if you want to use "Copy" instead of "Move" policy). https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hello Tobia,

I'd like to add that during the data transfer to object storage we operate on the block level, so there is no "backup files" being transferred. Plus mind the deduplication that allows minimizing the amount of data to be transferred.

Thanks