Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Fisz
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Load balancing backups (10GBe to 4x1GBe)

Post by Fisz »

Hello,
I have question regard load balancing in simple, small environment, which looks like this below:

ESXi host (10GBe NIC) <==> switch <==> NAS (4x1 GBe).

ESXi (free version) has 10GBe card installed, and there's also Veeam VM on this host (currently with 1 vmxnet3 10GBe vNIC @Windows 2016). NAS has 4x1GBe (all in LACP), on the switch side there's also LACP configured.
Can I add another 3 vNICs to the Veeam VM, and make Veeam to load balance the backup jobs between 4 vNICs? If yes, do I have to configure NIC teaming on the Windows 2016 VM? Or it can be all independent?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1407 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Load balancing backups (10GBe to 4x1GBe)

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hello,
I am not sure why NIC teaming within the VM would help you there.
You have a 10GbE virtual card in your server and this connection goes over a 10GbE card to the switch.
Fisz
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by Fisz »

Hello,
Yes, that's correct - Host has 10GBe, VM has 10GBe also. But VM has main backup datastore connected via iSCSI to the NAS, but NAS has only 4x1GBe ports, instead 10Gig.
I want to use all of this 4x1Gbe ports on the NAS (load balance backup jobs on all interfaces, instead of using one).
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1407 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Maybe give each interface an own IP address.
Connect 4 volumes one by each IP address withing the iSCSI and use it within Veeam. You can bring the disks together with our ScaleOut Backup Repository.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Post by Zew »

Unless you have another 4 NICs available on the host with 10GBe, you'd have to define separate vSwitches for each independent network traffic... unless maybe you can do VM (4 VMPGs -> One vSwitch -> Physical 10GBe) -> Physical Switch (10GBe) / 4 1GBe <- each 4 NICs on NAS)? I've never tested such a concept but that might be possible. I'd imagine you'd have a stack of 2 switchs though for the 10GBe, to only have 10GBe NIC and switch seems like a single point of failure in the design....