Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Hector
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lars Lange

Feature request - "Offline" backup (Copy of latest full backup)

Post by Hector »

I maintain a setup with aproxx. 40 vm´s in total. Daily changed backups and in weekends full backup of all servers. Backup media is 2 local Synology boxes.
Due to diffrent reasons, the setup consinsts of 20´ish diffrent jobs.

As an extra layer of security, I have 4 singel disk NAS devices, where most vital servers (latest full backup) are copied to every monday and then NAS device is removed from company premise. This way we have a offline backup is case of fire, flooding etc.

To do this I have one cmd script for each server I want to copy from my weekend full backup to the offline NAS.
This means that maintence of backup is done in 2 places, when a new vital server is deployed or removed.

I would love to have this feature in Veeam instead. So all backup configuration is done in one place. And adding or removing servers to this extra job is done easy.
But currently I can´t find the option to pick out servers from diffrent jobs, and then copy the latest full backup to a device with roating devices and VM´s stored as singel backup files. I don´t want to run new backup jobs, I simply want the latest full backup copied.

/Hector
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature request - "Offline" backup (Copy of latest full backup)

Post by foggy »

Hi Lars, not sure I fully understand the scenario, but wouldn't backup copy job pointed to rotated drives help here?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Feature request - "Offline" backup (Copy of latest full backup)

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

You cannot store per-VM backup files in backup repositories with rotated drives so running separate backup copy jobs for each server is the only option now. Anyway, I would recommend to leverage backup copy functionality instead of using scripts.

@Hector
You can add several VMs in a single backup copy and point it to repository with rotated drives as Foggy has suggested but you will have a single chain in this case. As far as I understand the request is to be able to create per-vm chains on rotated drives? Could you please clarify what is the purpose of keeping backups of VMs in separate chains in your case?

Thanks!