Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
swappedsr
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bob

Can't Restore: Data Deduplication Issue

Post by swappedsr »

We upgraded to Veeam 10 and seems this is when it started. We have a file server 2012 R2 with dedup enabled. My Veeam server is also on a 2012 R2 server with dedup role installed (Not configured). Why am I getting this error below.

"Copying and restoring files from deduplicated volumes requires that the mount server associated with the source backup repository uses Windows Server 2012 RS or later with Deduplication feature enabled."

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Can't Restore: Data Deduplication Issue

Post by foggy »

Hi Bob, mount server is not necessarily a backup server, for Windows backup repositories, the mount server role is assigned to the repository server itself. Please check if it runs the same OS version with Deduplication feature enabled. Thanks!
swappedsr
Novice

Post by swappedsr »

So that means the mount point is not my veem server is what you are saying. The mount point is where my repository is located?
swappedsr
Novice

Post by swappedsr »

Yeah, and I checked and the repository is running the mount service.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2276 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

If you backup a Windows Server 2016/2019 VM with dedup inside the vm enabled, your Backup Repository Server needs also to be the same or higher windows Server version as the processed vm todo a restore.

If your Repository Server is on 2012 R2, you will not be able to restore data from the 2016/2019 vms with dedup partitions.
If you mount the restore point to your local console on your windows 10 client, you will no be able to restore the data
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

You can explicitly assign the mount server role to any suitable server in the network though.