Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
GCSJordan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jordan Hobbs

Replication - Cloud to On-Prem

Post by GCSJordan »

Hi all

New to the forums so apologies if I post this in the wrong place, etc.

I have a customer who we currently host their Hyper-V VMs in our Colo environment which is then backed up with Veeam Backup and Replication to a Physical Server in our Rack along with other customer VMs.

They have asked for a Replication of their VMs to an onsite Server for DR as well as to just physically have a on-site copy of their data and so on.

We have a VPN between their site and our Colo for some stuff but I don't particularly want to expose any part of our backup infrastructure over it if possible.

So my question is how I can achieve an on-site replication of their VMs from our Cloud environment that can then be failed over in the event of an issue and then failed back if/when resolved without using a VPN?

I thought maybe Cloud Connect would work here but since the VMs are already in our Cloud I'm not sure the right way to configure that nor do I have much experience with Cloud Connect currently (though always happy to learn).

Any help or guidance much appreciated.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Replication - Cloud to On-Prem

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.
We have a VPN between their site and our Colo for some stuff but I don't particularly want to expose any part of our backup infrastructure over it if possible.
it depends how you define "expose" :-) At least you don't need your hardware or components running at the customer site.

What you need is the connections mentioned in the user guide to the Hyper-V servers. I see no way doing that without VPN (or any other direct connection technology).

The other way round (on-prem to service provider) would work with Cloud Connect Replication. But that does not help for your setup.

Another question is, who should do the failover / failback? The customer or you as a provider? Depending on the answer, it might require a separate backup server only for that customer.

Best regards,
Hannes
GCSJordan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jordan Hobbs

Re: Replication - Cloud to On-Prem

Post by GCSJordan »

Hi Hannes

Thank you. Us as the Service Provider would handle the failover / failback as we do all their IT Support.

Best wishes
Jordan