Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
roleit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Role IT

Changing azure storage tier - Veeam B&R blob storage

Post by roleit »

We have configured Veeam B&R V10 with Azure Blob hot storage as a SOBR. After few months we would like to chnage storage tier from hot to cold. What is the best approach to migrate data from hot storage to cold? How we could keep backups that we alredy sent to azure blob storage (hot). We would like to have data ready for restore.

1.Should we migrate data from hot to cold?
2.Should we maintain both storages hot and cold?

We want to have backups that we have sent already to Azure available all the time.

Is there any one that had similar problem?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Changing azure storage tier - Veeam B&R blob storage

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I'm not saying, that this is the "best approach".

I would just combine this answer post377100.html#p377100 with this how-to: https://webmakers.co.nz/how-to-convert- ... cess-tier/

Keep in mind, that cold tier has higher API costs... just in case you send your daily backups to object storage with short retentions.

Best regards,
Hannes
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Changing azure storage tier - Veeam B&R blob storage

Post by veremin »

I think the last article covers how to change access tier for already existing objects, new ones will be still created with the storage account default access tier - Hot.

Also, the costs of read and retrieval operations are much higher in case of Cold tier. So, keep this in mind , if you plan to restore from object storage regularly.

Thanks!