Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wksantiago
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: William K. Santiago

Veeam Backup VM restore

Post by wksantiago »

I have a simple question,

If I use Veeam Backup to backup VMs on an ESX server and this VM snapshot becomes inoperative after initiating a snapshot.
Users are still able to reach and perform SQL queries to the VM all OK
I cannot administer the VM at all. It seems that the SQL queries that the users are making are going to the snapshot file and not to the disk file. (Whole week went by) (the Veem Backup was performed before and after the SnapShot was done)

I then restart the VM and it has become un-bootable.

So I need to recover the backup using Veeam Backup.

Will the VM restore include the snapshot files?

Thanks,
William
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam Backup VM restore

Post by Gostev »

William,

If you use network backup mode, Veeam Backup backups VM with snapshot files, so this snapshot would be restored too. After restore is competed, you need to remove the snapshot with VMware Infrastructure Client, this will make your VM to run without snapshots, writing all changes into main VMDK.

If you use VCB backup mode, VCB automatically consolidates all existing snapshots into the full image during backup operation, so your backup file contains only flat VMDK (with all snapshots data commited into it). So in this case, all you need to do is restore the VM.

In both cases, if your backups where successful (and did not fail due to the snapshot issue you mentioned above), you should be able to recover successfully.

Thank you.
wksantiago
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: William K. Santiago

Re: Veeam Backup VM restore

Post by wksantiago »

Thanks for the information Gostev