Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Paulo42
Novice
Liked: never

Simple (or not?) Backup plan

Post by Paulo42 »

Hello all,

I've been reading V10 documentation but can't seem to get my head around this.
I've got a simple backup plan to set up:
- Be able to restore a VM for the last 30 days
- Be able to restore a monthly backup of the current year
- Be able to restore a backup of a machine done on the 31st December kept for 10 years

So I thought, that's easy, I'll configure 3 jobs
- an incremental job with 30 restore points.
- a job where I'd do a full backup of all VM on the 1st of every month
- a job where I'd do a full on the 31st of December,

The first job is easy.

However, for the other ones, I don't seem to find an easy way to say to Veam: a full backup scheduled at this time please
Initially, I configured a job that kept 12 restore points and ran once per month but this will give me a full in january and 11 incremental... Same for
Then I got into the Active Backup setting and I don't see if it runs on top of the 12 restore points? If I need to reduce the restore points to 1 or if that setting is simply bypassed.

And the same would apply for the yearly job.
I'd rather not use GFS. I also don't seem to be able to create a config where the fulls are exactly on the date that we wish them to bo (1st of the month and 31st of December)

Also, not sure if that's relevant but we'd use tapes for that.

Does anybody have the same or similar requirement and can let me know how they configured it? I'd imagine such a simple plan is common...
Thanks all for your help
Paul
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Simple (or not?) Backup plan

Post by foggy »

Hi Paul, active full starts the backup chain anew, all subsequent increments will depend on it. To be able to run the active full on the specific date, select 'This day' from the 'Monthly' drop-down list and specify the required day of the month, then select all the months in the corresponding window.

A question though, why din't you want using GFS as it is designed specifically for the case like that, preventing you from touching production VMs with other jobs (monthly, yearly).
Paulo42
Novice

Post by Paulo42 »

Hello foggy and thanks for your reply.
So, as I understand it, I'd need to re-configure my daily backup job, which currently has 30 retention points with an Active backup option that would run on the 1st of every month.
But the active backups are part of the 30 days retention policy so they would be deleted eventually or did I miss something? I need to keep the 12 monthly backups for 1 year.
So, I'm not sure of the solution.

I also tested GFS and it didn't produce the results that I expected in terms of which full backup would be kept. For example, when I looked at the files sometimes Full backups were kept on the 2 of the month, sometimes on the 3 or 4.. and I wasn't ok with that

So I thought I'd come back to a more "standard" approach but can't find the way.
I've been looking at tape jobs as well since my full monthly and yearly backups should go on tape eventually.
https://eivanov.gitbooks.io/secondaryco ... -tape.html seems to be the scenario that most ressembles min but I'm not sure who creates the full backups (is it the tape job or does the tape job already require the full backups to be created and added?)

Now I'm even more confused between backups, backup jobs and tape jobs with all seem to have different ways of doing it.

Isn't there already someone that had these requirements and configured it successfully?
Thanks
Paul
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Active fulls suggestion was meant to be used in your second backup job that was supposed to run on the 1st day of each month only. For it, you could specify the retention of 12 restore points to keep the fulls for each month and run the job just on the very same days.
Paulo42
Novice

Post by Paulo42 »

Ok, thanks. I'll test that and get back to you.
I assume that I can also do this for the yearly backup to be kept during 10 years.
Thanks
p
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct, just select a single month in the same window then.