Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
oliverL
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Oliver

Backup compressed and deduped by Veeam - how to move it to a dedup storage?

Post by oliverL »

Hey there,

i have some old (imported) backups on smy Windows Proxies/Repositories which i want to move to my Quantum DXi v1000 VM, because that offers dedup and compression and i want to use them as an archive since i get 1TB usable space (after dedup) for free.

My Backups are compressed and deduped by Veeam which means a simple Windows Copy to the CIFS Share of the Quantum DXi is possible but i guess Dedup and Compression for the Backup Files are still active which will result in bad dedup and compression on the DXI.

Backup Copy Jobs don't offer to migrate imported Backup Jobs and File Copy will only copy Files to Windows or Linux Servers known by Veeam.
Is there any other option to safely migrate imported/old Backups to somewhere else, especially if Veeam compression and dedup needs to be deacitivated/reverted at the new target?

best regards
Oliver
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup compressed and deduped by Veeam - how to move it to a dedup storage?

Post by foggy »

Hi Oliver, you can create a 'dummy' backup job, map to these backups, and then use a backup copy job that will decompress the data. Just keep in mind that backup copy will produce a single restore point corresponding to the latest VM state, it will not copy the entire chain. Thanks!