Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
Keyser
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Hidden folders missing from Backup

Post by Keyser »

I'm testing the NAS backup feature, and while it seems to be really fast, I can't seem to find a way to have it include hidden files/folders.

Fx: I'm backing up a QNAP NAS, and the home folders for users have several important hidden folders (.foldername) with some important data in.
Is there any way to include those in the backup?

-Keyser
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6699 times

Re: Hidden folders missing from Backup

Post by Gostev »

Are they accessible from under the account you used to register a file share with Veeam?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Keyser,

Can you please also clarify what protocol you are using to present the file share to Veeam B&R server: SMB or NFS? Thanks!
Keyser
Enthusiast

Post by Keyser »

Sorry - I was away.

The NAS is a QNAP QTS 4.4.2 , and I’m accessing the Fileshare Using SMBv2.
As i’m currrently doing a testrun, I accessed the share with the built-in admin account, and I have validated it has access to the hidden folders/files (At least in the webbased file manager).

The folders in question are the users .Qsync where all their sync’ed content is placed.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Perhaps they are excluded from processing because folders starting with a dot usually contain snapshots of the same share. I will let Dima confirm this though. Thanks!
Keyser
Enthusiast

Post by Keyser »

That could be the case, but looking at my exlusions it seems only folders named .snapshot are filtered out.

In this case it’s basically all user data that is left out of the backup - and It’s Qnap with Qsync at default settings I’m using.
So for your generic shop this means all synced user data is not included in a QNAP NAS backup with Veeam.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Ah, OK - if you don't see them in exclusions, then it is something different.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Keyser,
I accessed the share with the built-in admin account, and I have validated it has access to the hidden folders/files (At least in the webbased file manager)
Can you please check if you see these folders when file share is added under the same account to Veeam B&R? In order to do that - create a nas backup job and at the files and folders step click browse to select the desired folders. Thank you in advance!
Keyser
Enthusiast

Post by Keyser » 1 person likes this post

I have been doing some testing, and it seems the .Qsync folder within each users homefolder is not available over SMB. While the Admin account can browse all .Qsync folders across all users homefolders on the NAS (in the built in web interface), it cannot across SMB.

Qnap must be doing something “fishy” with the Qsync setup and permissions. So Veeam is not to blame here, but obviously we need to find some workaround and make it available. This could be a real shock to people doing QNAP backup with Veeam if they didn’t test it before they need the actual restore.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

It's not just QNAP... the Schrödinger backup principle is known to apply to any data source at all :D
"The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."