Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lmbutault
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Louis-Marie BUTAULT

Storeonce catalyst replication and SOBR

Post by lmbutault »

hello,

I would like to know if their special restrictions using Catalyst replication in V10 in a SOBR with archive tier.
design should be:

2 data rooms
1 physical proxy per room
1 Storeonce per room, 2 catalyst store per room
1 Sobr per room for backup and archiving with only 1 local catalyst store for perf tier and a S3 bucket for archive tier (Immediate copy + archiving), 1 bucket per room.
1 standard repo for DR per room with second catalyst store for catalyst replication from other room
Backup copy jobs, short term only, from SOBR in room 1 to Standard Repo in room 2 using catalyst replication, and same the other way from room 2 to room 1.

would catalyst replication work on this context?

second question can a catalyst store be shared by two repos, each knowing his own objects? in this case we could have only one catalyst store per site and have better global dedup. and if we go further to have only one Sober per site, Archive tier will be done at each site for local and replicated data’s and this will lead to a problem (dual offload to object storage, higher costs).

regards,

Louis-Marie.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Storeonce catalyst replication and SOBR

Post by foggy »

Hi Louis-Marie, having two repositories pointing to a single Catalyst Store is possible. Overal, your setup looks viable, please note the following requirements for repositories though. Also, please note that backup copy jobs will be supported as a source for Catalyst Copy starting Veeam B&R v11, not only backups produced by the backup jobs can be copied this way (if I understand your setup correctly, you're going to use Immediate copy to SOBR). Thanks!
lmbutault
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Louis-Marie BUTAULT

Post by lmbutault »

thanks Alexander for prompt answer.

I have a question reading documentation you linked to me.

in https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100 , I see:
"When the backup copy job for HPE StoreOnce runs for the first time, it copies all existing backup files. Then the backup copy job starts each time a new backup file appears in the source repository. In case of a removed backup file, the backup copy job waits 21 days since the backup file creation and after removes the backup file from the target repository. If 21 days have already passed at the moment of removal, the backup copy job removes the backup file immediately. You can change this day limit using registry keys. For more information, contact Veeam Customer Support."

Does this introduce a kind of veeam backup copy immutability without using native catalyst data immutability that is not supported by veeam?
Can a hacker taking control of the VBR can manually ask for deletion of the file in the target repository before the 21 days limit?

Regards,
Louis-Marie
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This can be considered a sort of immutability in the sense that the backups copied to target are protected from accidental (or malicious) deletion from source as this deletion is not synced to the target immediately. However, if the hacker gets access to the target repository, he will be able to delete data.