Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DRUMDUDESAN
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jeff

New vCenter - Veeam not working

Post by DRUMDUDESAN »

Hi,
Long story short old site; late night and can't see the forest for the trees
- vSphere 5.1
- Veeam 9.0x
- vCenter re-installed and setup from scratch.
Veeam of course now fails.
"Failed to login to vcenter by SOAP port 443 Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS"

I am just wondering if re-installing Veeam is best at this point as well or is there a easier solution.

I do have recent bco backup from 1 day ago.

Thanks
DRUMDUDESAN
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jeff

Re: New vCenter - Veeam not working

Post by DRUMDUDESAN »

Actually after my first coffee I figured it out.
Goto B&R Virtual machines and modify the vCenter(s) | Properties | Go through the setup and it will update the credentials and the SSL certificates. It took like 3 minutes.
Example.
VMware vCenter Server 'vcenter#' was successfully modified.
Host info: VMware vCenter Server 5.1.0 build-3814779
Connection options:
User: domain\user
Port: 443

Back to sleep now....zzzzzzzzZZZZZ
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

All jobs will have to do full backups, though, since VM's were re-registered and got different ID's.
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Post by pshute »

I just went through this same procedure after we renewed the vCentre certificate and had a similar error.

If we end up with an extra full backup tonight because of this, no big deal, but is there a way to fix it without this happening?

Or do the VMs only get new ids in the case above where vCentre was reinstalled?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Peter, VM's get new IDs upon being re-registered in VI - this can be a consequence of a migration to a new vCenter, like in the case above, or any other scenario causing VM registration. Certificate update shouldn't change the ID's in vCenter database.
pshute
Veteran

Post by pshute »

Thanks. I can confirm that last night's incrementals went ahead as normal, didn't do full backups, so it worked like you said.

So we need to go through this each time we renew the vCenter certificate? We had a 5 year certificate, and must have got Veeam just after that, so this is our first ever renewal in several years of using Veeam. Is there a knowledge base article about it?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

You will have to go trough the vcenter add process each time, because the certificate are self signed on the vcenter.
No one trusts self signed certificate automatically :)

We had to learn this the hard way once, since then, every cert change (vcenter or nutanix ahv), we will reconfigure the connection on the vbr server
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
pshute
Veteran

Post by pshute »

It might be helpful then, if the warning it pops up included something like "If you changed your vCenter certificate recently, please see KBxxxxxx".
oliverL
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Oliver

Post by oliverL »

foggy wrote: Dec 14, 2017 5:03 pm All jobs will have to do full backups, though, since VM's were re-registered and got different ID's.
And go into every Job to see if the correct VMs are in their backup job.
Due to new moref-IDs it might be that the wrong VMs are in the existing Backup Jobs.

Happened to me in my lab environment after installing a new vCenter and then adding the same old hosts with the same Veeam Installation
I did the validate process for my vcenter (same name) and after trusting the new certifcate and clicking next next finish i started my old backup jobs.

After some time i was wondering why the jobs wheren't finished (altough i knew that Fulls where enforced).
But the Proxy from Site B backed my VMs from Site A over WAN trough NBD because the VMs in the Job got mixed up (i had selected static Proxys for each job/site because the IP selection wasn't working quite well).