Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
fcures
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Federico Cures

IBMCLOUD Object Storage

Post by fcures »

Hello how are you? How i can change the size of the block. Since I plan to send 1TB of information to a storage object, and the problem is that the block size is very small, this generates many queries and increases costs. Do you know how I can change it? Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6710 times

Re: IBMCLOUD Object Storage

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello, the default block size of 1MB is optimal from total costs perspective.

If you increase block size to 4MB, then you will have 4x less API operations to pay for, but your incremental backups will become on average 2x larger, which means more storage costs instead of more API costs. In other words, the object storage vendor will "get you" either way ;)

However, larger block size has other implications too, like slower and more costly granular restores from object storage. So there's really no point in making this change. But if you still want to do it, then the block size can be changed under Storage optimization (and requires an active full backup to take effect).

If you want a real solution for API costs though, then consider using an object storage provider which does not charge for API calls, like Wasabi.

Thanks!
fcures
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Federico Cures

Re: IBMCLOUD Object Storage

Post by fcures »

Your answer is very clear.
What catches my attention is that veeam promotes those clouds, knowing how to handle them.

Thanks for all.
Federico.