Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
alex84
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex de Groot

New server, hyperv cluster / install components

Post by alex84 »

We are moving to a new physical server for our veeam backup server. I have installed the newest veeam community edition.

Old server: Veeam backup and replication 9.5
New server: Veeam backup and replication 10

Question, can I savely configure the new server and add our hyperv cluster? I get the message "some components will be installed", is it save to do so? and will the old backup jobs from the 9.5 backup&replication server still work after I install these components?

We still need the old server for a week or so, because we are waiting for disks to arrive.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: New server, hyperv cluster / install components

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Alex.

When added to v10, we will upload and update Hyper-V server components and v9.5 will fail to operate.
Keep v10 raw(don't cross infrastructure components with existing v9.5) and plan Day Z to power off v9.5 once and for all.

You can always use Configuration Backup Restore operation to copy everything you have set in v9.5 VBR over to v10 VBR with a matter of a few clicks! Your infrastructure components, servers, jobs will be transferred over!

p.s. make sure to encrypt configuration backup on v9.5 in order for service accounts to be transferred alongside configuration, otherwise you will have to re-add all service accounts in v10 manually.

/Cheers!