Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

feature request - Exclude folder Entire Computer backup

Post by ejenner »

Hi guys,

Probably already been requested previously but I've found an issue with the 'Entire Computer' backup option for Windows Agent.

When I setup my backups for my cluster blades I wanted to use 'Entire Computer' but after not too long I realised Veeam was also backing up the 'cluster storage' from the C: drive. So for each node I was backing up I was getting a copy of our SAN through the 'ClusterStorage' folder on the C: drive.

Following this I changed the backup for our cluster nodes to File level backup. I selected the C: drive and the Operating System which has the effect of only backing up the local drive.

The problem I've found this morning is that from a File level backup I'm unable to generate a recovery .iso to restore the server from bare metal and we've had a node hardware failure so this is what I'd ideally do under these circumstances.

So the request would be either of the following:

1. Allow exclusions or some other setting from the 'Entire Computer' backup so the cluster shared volume can be excluded.
2. Enable generation of a recovery .iso for File level backup.

Alternatively if I've missed something and this is already part of the software I'd be grateful if someone could let me know where I'm going wrong.

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: feature request - Exclude folder Entire Computer backup

Post by Dima P. »

Hello EJ,

Thanks for the feedback! Checking with QA team why recovery media creation is not working for file level backup, I believe it should work for any mode whenever operating system is included. Cheers!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

FYI accessing like this:

Home > Backups > Disk > locate the Windows Agent job in question. Right-click and the option to 'Create recovery media' is greyed out.

Actually, comparing with some other jobs. I do have some File level backup jobs which do allow creation of recovery media.

So there's actually some issue with my jobs for backing up my cluster nodes. I've had a quick look through the settings and it's nothing immediately obvious, the jobs which work and the ones which don't are very similar / can't see any differences. I've got jobs for non-clustered blades in the same enclosure which I can use as recovery media if needed. If I find out what the problem is I'll post it.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you for the update. Can you please confirm if you see the same behavior when you select create recovery media under Inventory node > Protection group > Host (right click the host to select create recovery media)? Cheers!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

If you go in through the Inventory route then the option to create the recovery media is available.

This is pretty strange behavior. I don't think this thread is a Feature Request any longer. Perhaps the title could be edited to save confusion later.

So why does the console allow some recovery iso files to be created in the disk view and some not? And then some can be created in the Inventory view.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello EJ,

Looks like you've found a UI glitch. I'll ask QA folks to investigate it, but we might need a debug logs from you. Can I ask you to raise a support case and share the logs with support team? Once done please pass me you case ID. Thank you in advance!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

Ok. Although perhaps worth pointing out I'm only on v10? Maybe it's solved in 10a or 11?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

EJ,

The fix was included in v10, so if you installation is misbehaving we need debug logs (and possibly the database to identify the root cause). Any chance you've raised a support case? Cheers!