Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lee@reiroofing.com
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: lee

Restore job fails due to proxy

Post by lee@reiroofing.com »

Case #04417263

Greetings!

Fairly new to Veeam so go easy!

I am having an issue where a VM restore fails due to a certain proxy being selected. Here's my setup:

My backup repository is on a NAS that is direct connected (DAC - 10Gb) to the ESXi server (host 1) hosting the Veeam VM. Inside the VM , I configured another network for the direct connection so now Veeam can access the SMB share directly. I also have another Windows VM on another ESXi host (host 2) that is being used as a proxy for Veeam so when backups run, they use the hotadd method. This proxy VM DOES NOT have a direct connection to the NAS. When I tried restoring a VM recently, Veeam selected this proxy and the restore failed because it doesn't have access to the share directly. The thing is I never ran into this issue in over a year using Veeam so I think something changed somewhere on v10 (unless It just auto selected the proxy on the Veeam server)? I ran multiple tests and backups completed successfully when restoring to either host as long as I use the right proxy (the one that has direct access to the NAS).

Does this make sense and is this expected behavior?

Error:

Code: Select all

9/30/2020 8:00:02 PM Error    Restore job failed Error: The network path was not found.
                                      Failed to open storage for read access. Storage: [LAB2020-09-30T050027_3472.vib].
                                      Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{f2e91fa7-b36a-4756-afdc-8ffd1d9ebea9}]. CHMOD mask: [473].
                                      Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.RestoreText}.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Restore job fails due to proxy

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I guess it has something to do with the gateway server of your SMB share. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

The proxy talks to the gateway server (direct access to the NAS is not needed. Only connection to the gateway server is needed). Automatic selection should work, but I'm not 100% sure about your network setup.

Best regards,
Hannes

PS: for a definite answer, please continue working with support.
lee@reiroofing.com
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: lee

Re: Restore job fails due to proxy

Post by lee@reiroofing.com »

Thanks for your reply.

After reading the linked article, it makes perfect sense as the proxy being auto selected when restoring is the one that doesn't have direct access to the SMB share.

Code: Select all

In the Gateway server section, specify settings for the gateway server:
If a network connection between the source datastore and backup repository is fast, choose Automatic selection. In this case, Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically select a gateway server.

If you perform backup and replication over WAN or slow connections, choose The following server. From the list below, select a Microsoft Windows server on the target site that you want to use as a gateway server. [b]The selected server must have a direct access to the SMB share and must be located as close to the SMB share as possible[/b].