Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
kumartc1
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Udaya Kumar

Configuring AWS file gateway (SMB share) as backup repository for on-prem backup to S3

Post by kumartc1 »

Veeam Version 9.5 update 4

We set up AWS Store storage gateway appliance (File gateway -SMB share) in Vcenter and added this as backup repository in veeam to backup 50 VMs. Noticed backup performance is very poor and intermittently jobs are failing with below error
Error: Access is denied. Failed to read data from the file [\\x.x.x.x\prod-veeam-backup\Veeam_Backups\ProdVM-30T034211.vib]. Failed to download disk. Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}

Is “AWS Store storage gateway appliance (File gateway -SMB share) “as backup repository supported/validated by Veeam? and is there any best practice guide available for this type setup?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Configuring AWS file gateway (SMB share) as backup repository for on-prem backup to S3

Post by Gostev »

Cloud storage gateways are not supported. But why use them in the first place, when Veeam can integrate with object storage natively?
kumartc1
Novice

Re: Configuring AWS file gateway (SMB share) as backup repository for on-prem backup to S3

Post by kumartc1 »

Thank you Gostev for your reply. My understanding is to integrate Veeam with object storage natively, we need to configure scale-out backup repository ?. At this moment we do not have enough local storage as backup storage so we are trying to push backup directly to S3 via Storage Gateway(File gateway) as SMB share backup repository.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

Udaya,

Trust me on this as I've had many clients who ignored this limitation -- it's not going to work.

You can copy the files up there outside of Veeam and do it on your own, but you're going to be constantly fighting with the Storage Gateways causing tons of really unpredictable issues.

Set up your clients with XFS or ReFS on their local repositories and use block cloning. (XFS even means no Windows license). That way you get tiny full backups and you can offload the backups successfully to S3. But don't do the gateway like you're thinking, it just doesn't work -- I've seen this across dozens of different unique sites.
kumartc1
Novice

Post by kumartc1 »

Thank you Harvey for your valuable information.