Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rizks_2000
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony Rizk

Server loses connection - Veeam backup successful

Post by rizks_2000 »

Have had an issue for the past 3 weeks, and although it isn't critical, it's beginning to affect some things. Backup a server on a daily basis. Windows 2003 server. Sometime during the process of the Veeam backup, the server loses all network connections, or at least that is how it looks. How do I know? I run a little app called Servers Alive and for my server checks, I'm sending pings from Servers Alive to my list of servers....every 2 minutes. For this particular server, I get the server outage email notification about 13 minutes after the Veeam job starts. I've got it starting at 1:30AM and I get the server outage email notification at 1:41-1:43. Any idea what is happening here? I do know in fact the server is dropping network connection for a brief time because I've been forced to move this backup job to 1:30AM instead of 9:30PM due to some nightly batch jobs failing. Those batch jobs rely on a connection to this specific server. So, delaying the backup until the nightly batch processing fixes our immediate problem, but not the permanent solution. When running a Veeam backup job, my server still needs to be accessible. I run several other Veeam jobs on other servers and don't have this issue. I've got something set wrong within the Veeam backup job and can't figure it out.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Server loses connection - Veeam backup successful

Post by Gostev »

Does it happen on VMware snapshot removal by any chance? Sounds like it (13 mins after backup starts). If yes, then there is existing discussion on this issue.
rizks_2000
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony Rizk

Post by rizks_2000 »

Below are the stats of my last backup. I was mistaken...job starts at 1:00AM...not 1:30. I got my warnings about the outage at 1:44AM....right before the Veeam job completes. If there is discussion, where is it at?

1 of 1 VMs processed (0 failed, 0 warnings)

Total size of VMs to backup: 110.00 GB
Processed size: 110.00 GB
Processing rate: 42 MB/s
Start time: 10/31/2011 1:00:21 AM
End time: 10/31/2011 1:45:32 AM
Duration: 0:45:11
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Here, please continue posting there if necessary > Snapshot removal issues of a large VM