Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

Backup VM which is proxy vm (virtual appliance mode)

Post by agrob »

Good Day

Lets assume i have a backup job "backupjob001" configured to use a proxy "proxy001". This proxy is a vm and configured for virtual appliance mode. what does happen if i backup this proxy001 vm in the same backup job "backup001". Do i run into problems because the proxy001 vm has vmdk files mounted from other vms during backup? or is veeam aware of this and does exlcude the mounted vmdk files from backup?

Thanks
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Backup VM which is proxy vm (virtual appliance mode)

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Correct we would run into issues because of the "random" disks that are attached to the VM. We would just back those up and potentially fail when the job removes them.

However you could exclude all disks beside the system disk and then backup this VM in NBD mode.
As we disable CBT for this VM it is always a Snap and Scan Backup => Read 100% data to identify the changes.

I would not recommend to backup at all the Proxy server. If you use a regular application server for this to not have to use an extra windows license, please look at our Linux Proxy option.
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

Post by agrob »

Thank you Andreas.
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

@Andreas: Would we really run into a problem here?
The disks are mounted as independent and won't be snapshoted. And I think Veeam waits for all tasks to stop before starting the proxy backup.
If in general the proxy should be excluded from backup then the documentation should include a warning for that case.