Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
andreas2012
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andreas

Application-Aware Processing access denied

Post by andreas2012 »

Hi,

We have had a veeam service account that has been domain admin, and today we removed that account from the domain admin group, and then offcourse problems started... If we have a application aware processing enabled on the VM`s, do the veeam service account then need to be added to the local admin group on each VM ?

Thanks for reply.
Andreas
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Application-Aware Processing access denied

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Andreas,

Yes, account for application-aware processing required administrative access on the machine. Cheers!
andreas2012
Veeam ProPartner

Post by andreas2012 »

Hi,

Ok, so what about backing up a domain controller, I guess I need to add the account to the Administrators group on the Domain controller as well?
If that's the case, I guess I could just leave the service account in the Domain Admin group ? Or am I missing something here ?

R
Andreas
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Andreas, to perform AAIP on a domain controller, an account that is a member of the built-in DOMAIN\Administrators group is required. Thanks!
andreas2012
Veeam ProPartner

Post by andreas2012 »

Hi,

Ok I see. So AAIP is also recommended right to have a consistent backup, so that means a service account that veeam uses should be domain admin or how else would I be able to backup the domain controller consistent. I see that you also should add the user to local admin group on each server, but that would not be needed so long its added to the domain admin, and as long as i add it to domain\administrators it also have domiain admin cred... and can then login to the DC and create other accounts... right ? please advice.

/R
Andreas
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

You can find the required permissions for "Application-Aware Processing" for each application here:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... =100#rptcb
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

andreas2012 wrote: Oct 08, 2020 2:41 pm Ok I see. So AAIP is also recommended right to have a consistent backup, so that means a service account that veeam uses should be domain admin or how else would I be able to backup the domain controller consistent. I see that you also should add the user to local admin group on each server, but that would not be needed so long its added to the domain admin, and as long as i add it to domain\administrators it also have domiain admin cred... and can then login to the DC and create other accounts... right ? please advice.
Right.