Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rayjfq
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ray figueroa

Re: migrate datacenter of origin to another site 600 km away

Post by rayjfq »

Hello, currently I want to migrate all the virtual machines in a data center with vcenter 5.5 and 4 esxi 5.5 in a cluster with HA in total there are 20 virtual machines with a shared data storage SAN HP by FC and iscsi. on the destination side I have the same infrastructure a hp blade with 4 esxi in version 5.5 and vcenter 5.5 and of course an HP SAN WITH FC AND ISCSI, configured with HA but it is empty it is clean, my question which is the fastest and safest method To move the VMs knowing that the vdisk are in the SAN, after the migration the objective is to turn off the source site to move the equipment and later create a replica, greetings if you can help me I am attentive to opinions

PS: I have veeam backup and replication on the source site installed, but I also have vsphere replication.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Use veeam backup and replicate for migrate datacenter of site to anohter site 600 km away

Post by HannesK » 2 people like this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

As you are asking on the Veeam forum, the only answer can be Veeam Replication :-)

As vSphere 5.5 is end of support by VMware, I recommend to replicate to a newer version of vSphere that is supported by VMware: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/51491

I would go with a planned failover. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100 By doing that, you have no data loss.

After failover: what is your plan about backup in the new site? Will you move the VBR hardware there? New hardware?

Best regards,
Hannes
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Re: Use veeam backup and replicate for migrate datacenter of site to anohter site 600 km away

Post by zadrian »

Is there any reason you cannot upgrade to ESXi 6.7u3 (with vCenter 6.7) or ESXi 7.01 (with vCenter 7) ?

The main problem with migration (using any method) depends very highly on the following....

1. Bandwidth & size of VMs.
2. Type of application and/or DB etc on server (VM).
3. Cut over or data sync

For example, Domain Controllers (and some DBs) would have issues if recovered (from backups or replicas) as they have time sensitive data, so data replication is a more stable method (have DCs on both sites replicating to each other).

Then email servers are usually very huge and should be up 24/7. Some would prefer to migrate to SAAS or create a replication partner at the new site as well.

So in a way, it really depends on those few factors before you decide on a method.

What we did for other VMs is to use Veeam reverse increment with per VM storage to perform backups then Veeam backup copy to the remote site. 1st backup (full backup) will take a long time, but subsequent backups will be faster. Then use Veeam replication to create replica using the backup data sets residing in the remote storage.
It will be very useful if you have these other 3 Veeam tools as well.....Veeam surebackup, Veeam surereplica (to verify backup & replica) & Veeam WAN accelerator.
rayjfq
Novice

Post by rayjfq »

Is there any reason you cannot upgrade to ESXi 6.7u3 (with vCenter 6.7) or ESXi 7.01 (with vCenter 7) ?
I have SAP development and production quality environments in total 6 servers, and I tried to update to version 6 of vcenter and vsphere 6 and it gave me many problems and errors I could only update to version 5.5, after I managed to migrate to the other site with hardware new blade 660c and san hp P2000 ssf FC then I will see how to update the versions calmly, for now I need to migrate with version 5.5 because the source site is going to close, thanks in advance for your valuable help
rayjfq
Novice

Post by rayjfq »

1. Bandwidth & size of VMs.
2. Type of application and/or DB etc on server (VM).

1. 50 Megas both sites.
2. one DC one Exchange server, SAP solution manager, SAP DV, SAP QA, SAP PD with datbase in SQL server
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

As mentioned, planned failover is the recommended way of doing a migration. Just keep in mind that VM IDs will change so Veeam B&R will treat the migrated VMs as new ones, causing its jobs to re-read the entire VM data.