Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
kevdpc
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kevin Chubb

Auto/manual alarm resolution

Post by kevdpc »

It seems like some alarms will resolve automatically and some need to be done manually. Is there a way to know which way each alarm resolution works?

Before resolving one manually I'd like to check that it's necessary, just to be sure I'm not manually clearing one for a condition that still exists.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Auto/manual alarm resolution

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Kevin,

Alarm types that are self-resolved include the following: performance alarms, connection state, job states, basically everything that has thresholds in the settings and states. There is another type of alarms (event-based), these usually require manual resolution.

Hope this helps!
kevdpc
Influencer
Full Name: Kevin Chubb

Post by kevdpc » 2 people like this post

I actually just noticed that when you're in the Alarm Management view there's a Resolution column that says "Automatic" or "Manual" for each alarm.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yep, this completely slipped my mind.
veeeammeupscotty
Enthusiast
Full Name: JP

Post by veeeammeupscotty »

Aside from a script, is there any way to automatically resolve an alarm that is designated manual resolution? For example, for the "VM guest reboot" alarm, it would be ideal if this alarm would automatically resolve after a certain time period.
nikolaj
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by nikolaj »

Hi JP,

That particular alarms resolves automatically:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/a ... ml?ver=110

Has this not been your case?
veeeammeupscotty
Enthusiast
Full Name: JP

Post by veeeammeupscotty »

No, actually that one is set to manual on my v11.0.1379 install. The Hyper-V "VM Guest OS reboot" is set to automatic resolution though. EDIT: I see why, it's because I changed its rule severity from information to error, which automatically changes it to manual resolution. So next question, any way to prevent that? I've changed the severity because we only want to be notified via email for alarms at the "error" level, but we also want to be notified for this particular alarm. It appears the only way to accomplish this is to set every single alarm notification to "send email notification" for "errors only" and change informational alarms to "any state" since the default "send email to default group" cannot be changed to "errors only", which is why we have changed the notification policy in server settings to "errors only".

wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi JP,

Indeed, "Informational alarms" do not require a resolution and thus cannot be resolved while error and warning alarms do require it. This particular alarm triggers when a corresponding event comes from the hypervisor and there is no event that is intended to cause the alarm closure, so this behavior is expected.

Thanks