Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
igibason
Novice
Liked: never

Recommendations for configuring Monthly, Quarterly, and Yearly backups

Post by igibason »

Hello Everyone,

New Veeam customer here and was hoping to get some guidance. I created a Backup Job to backup a set of VMs and I want to store daily backups on disk onsite for 30 days. Then I want to also copy the daily backups to another DR site with a retention of 60 days. Whats more is that I also want to take a Monthly backup with a retention of 1 year, Quarterly backup with a retention of 2 year, and a Yearly backup with a retention of 7 years.

What would be the best way to set that up?

In the Backup Job I have setup, would I put the Rentention policy to 30 days and setup a Backup Copy job with the Restore points to keep to 60 days?

Do I need to set anything under the “Keep certain full backups longer for archival purposes”? I don’t see any settings for Quarterly backups.

As for the Backup Copy job, would I need to set the “Keep the following restore points as full backup for archival purposes” options?

Thanks for any guidance,
Ian…
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Recommendations for configuring Monthly, Quarterly, and Yearly backups

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Yes, if you want 60 days on the copy site, then you need to set 60 restore points in the copy job (assuming that you run backup once per day). In the next version (V11), the wizard will also allow days for the backup copy job (instead of restore points)

Quarterly backups are not available for backup jobs. They will also be removed for backup copy jobs in the next version (V11) to simplify the user interface.

Yes, you need to configure "keep... for archival". Otherwise weekly /monthly / yearly is not available.

Backup job and backup copy job have their own retention. That allows to keep for example short time on the primary repository and much longer time on the secondary repository.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Best regards,
Hannes