Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MAA
Expert
Liked: 3 times

vSphere 7.0 U1 Support

Post by MAA »

Is version 7.0U1 supported?

[TL;DR] vSphere 7.0 Update 1 is supported starting from version Veeam Backup & Replication 10a with the Cumulative Patch 20201202 > KB4050
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: vSphere 7.0 support

Post by wishr »

Hi MAA,

vSphere v7.0 U1 is not released yet. We will deliver official support for it within 90 days from the GA date, as we usually do with new platform releases.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Our testing of the 7.0U1 RTM code still continues, but we already found a couple of issues which will need to be addressed on our end.

So far, all issues we observed are caused by the new vSphere API and virtual hardware versions introduced in U1. Nothing serious technically, just bad cosmetically (causes job warnings or unclear errors depending on scenario).

As such, the official support for vSphere 7.0U1 will be delivered in the Cumulative Patch 3 for Veeam Backup & Replication 10a.
regi
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Regi Pradeeswaran

Post by regi »

Hi quick question I have updated the VCSA with latest patch (No VCSA reboot needed) yesterday

Version:
Build number

And the backups ran fine but with is initial warning. Is this ok ? All the backups & replications are running as normal

Your vCenter Server API version is higher than the version this product build has been tested against, which may cause issues with some functionality. Please refer to Veeam KB2443 for vSphere version support information. This warning will not be logged again.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Regi,

Yes, this is expected, see the post just above yours.

Thanks
mbainbridge
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Marcus Bainbridge

Post by mbainbridge »

I "upgraded" to 7.0U1 yesterday, before reading this thread. No matter which credentials I use in Veeam, I can't back up the vCenter server. I tried the VCSA root and the SSO admin accounts, but it just keeps saying Processing VMware vCenter Server Error: Permission denied (password).

The backup job worked fine with 7.0.0. I'm not bothered for now, I'll just remove it from the job. It's not hard to recreate vCenter when I only have 2 vSphere servers :)
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

We know that we need some product changes. For example to handle the new hardware version. I guess in your case the issue was more related to the point that you have upgraded the same vcenter (same DNS name/IP address) and the certificate changed. In that case running the existing vcenter entry again and accepting the certificate should solve it. But there are other things that we need to address for supporting vSphere 7.0 U1.
We will have some news soon.
mbainbridge
Novice
Full Name: Marcus Bainbridge

Post by mbainbridge »

Thanks for the hint! I removed vCenter from the backup job and re-added it. All working again!
kbr
Enthusiast
Full Name: Karl

Re: vSphere 7.0 U1 Support

Post by kbr »

Hi,

I'm setting up two new vSphere environments for two different customers and both want to start with vSphere 7.0U1 out of the box. Both solutions include VEEAM 10.x.

Can you guys tell me if it's a real no go to setup with 7.0 U1 now? First project will likely go live within 2,5 weeks. The other a few weeks after that. Since 7.0 (without U1) was the initial version they really like to run the U1 version.

I know it might take 90 days for the support to be there, but is there any indication when this might arrive and what issues we can run into? Is it an option to suggest not running the latest hardware version but use the hardware version from 7.0?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

We have identified some areas that need some code changes. Looks like they are management only related.
As we had a great head start with VMware sending us the RC version the timing will be optimized.
Overall it is not a good idea to run something not official supported. But if you go anyway the path, then please do not use the latest VM hardware version 18 until we provided an update. There are some changes needed from us for it. You can later very easily update the VM to the latest hardware version within the VMware management interfaces.
planetcoop
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris Cooper

Post by planetcoop »

Just like before: vmware-vsphere-f24/vsphere-6-7-u1-support-t54673.html

Workaround
Create the following registry value under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication key on the backup server:

Value: VMwareOverrideApiVersion
Type: Multi-String Value (REG_MULTI_SZ)
Data: 7.0.1 = 7.0

Obviously as others have noted that changes are required, I have had good luck with my lab environment and cannot wait for the release of the supported version. I have not found issues with this workaround since the release of the 7.0U1 code. I would dare to say that backup times have greatly improved. :)
gbulloch
Lurker
Full Name: Gregory Bulloch

Post by gbulloch »

Is there any update on this? Is 7.0 U1 officially supported?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

As stated above, official support for vSphere 7.0U1 will be delivered in the Cumulative Patch 3 for Veeam Backup & Replication 10a.

/Thanks!
kbr
Enthusiast

Post by kbr »

Hi Guys, can somebody from VEEAM comfirm it's wise to set the value as stated in a post above until Cumulative Patch 3 is available:

Value: VMwareOverrideApiVersion
Type: Multi-String Value (REG_MULTI_SZ)
Data: 7.0.1 = 7.0
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Karl,
Not for the production environment, only in case you want to test unsupported scenario ahead of the curve in the labs.
Otherwise, just wait for an update with official platform support.
/Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Gostev wrote: Oct 06, 2020 4:04 pm Our testing of the 7.0U1 RTM code still continues, but we already found a couple of issues which will need to be addressed on our end.

So far, all issues we observed are caused by the new vSphere API and virtual hardware versions introduced in U1. Nothing serious technically, just bad cosmetically (causes job warnings or unclear errors depending on scenario).

As such, the official support for vSphere 7.0U1 will be delivered in the Cumulative Patch 3 for Veeam Backup & Replication 10a.
The regression testing has now been completed. The only other issue we found is with those newly added hidden VMs that VMware is using as cluster agents for HA. They will be backed up automatically by container-based jobs, but they really should not be backed up at all. We're planning to enable backup jobs to skip these VMs automatically in the Cumulative Patch 3, based on one of their properties.
kbr
Enthusiast

Post by kbr »

Hi Gostev, sounds good! Is the advice still to NOT use the new virtual hardware version (18) for now? Any clue when the Patch3 will come?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 2 people like this post

Read Gostevs "Veeam Community Forums Digest":
vSphere 7.0 Update 1: we have completed the regression testing and found no additional issues aside of those cosmetic ones I talked about previously. These will be resolved by adding support for the new virtual hardware version 18 and teaching our products not to worry about the new API version. In addition, we will also address those system VMs that the newly added vSphere Clustering Service (vCLS) uses as cluster agents for the High Availability feature. As it stands right now, these hidden VMs will be enumerated and backed up by container-based jobs, when they really should not be backed up at all. So, we're planning to add the logic to make our jobs skip these VMs automatically based on one of their special properties. We plan to ship all of the functionality mentioned above in a cumulative patch for the version 10a next month.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Harald
Enthusiast
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Harald Husemann

Support for vSphere 7.0 U1a

Post by Harald »

Hi,

VMWare has released another update for vSphere 7 called U1a, and we're planning to install it since it has some enhancements in NSX etc. So, is this update also supported by Veeam 10?

Thanks and best regards from Germany,

Harald
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Minor updates did not break anything usually and are supported automatically.
Only Version and (full) Updates fall under the restriction that we want to test everything first to guarantee correct processing.
halllowien
Novice
Full Name: David Brunner

Post by halllowien »

Hello,

is there a release date for 10a Patch3?

Greets
David
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi David,

Usually, we do not share product release timelines because they are always hard to predict, however, you may find a hint in the forum digest from Oct 5 - Oct 11, 2020: "The official support for vSphere 7.0 U1 will be delivered in the next cumulative patch for Veeam Backup & Replication 10a – likely in November, as the same patch is also the release vehicle for a few other platform support updates."

Thanks
juanmachado
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Juan Machado

Post by juanmachado »

Any update on this?
Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

We always post updates when we have them, but so far there has been nothing new to report.
crackocain
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Mehmet Istanbullu

Post by crackocain »

Hello

https://blogs.vmware.com/virtualblocks/ ... 000001CTmC

I read this article and i wonder this features (QoS, Host EMM) are can be used for Veeam? Article mentioned Vsphere Data Protection but this product is EOL so i'm confused :D
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

The QoS one should be transparent from us.
The Host EMM one is something we have covered within our own product since many years. Overall the bogger idea is to allow no matter what that VMware Cloud on AWS hosts can go into maintenance mode for updates. Today some of the backup situations arround prevent this.
duttamohit
Lurker
Full Name: Mohit Dutta

Post by duttamohit »

Hello Guys,

My VBR version is :--> Build 10.0.1.4854.
vSphere Client version 7.0.1.00000.

I am testing a VM image level backup .The backup got successful with warning as "Your vCenter server API version is higher than the version this product build has been tested against. Which may cause issues with some functionality. Please refer to Veeam KB2443 for vsphere version support information. This warning will not be logged gain."

As per the platform support :--> https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100.

Virtual platform vSphere 7.0* is supported. If yes then why i am getting the above warning message. If not then when can we expect the supported version to be available for deployment.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Mohit,

As you can see from the conversation above the support for vSphere 7 Update 1 is shortly coming in the next cumulative patch.

Thanks
Outlaw
Influencer

Post by Outlaw » 1 person likes this post

Suddenly, 30 November is now :lol:
cumulative patch for Veeam Backup & Replication 10a – likely in November
ndum
Influencer

Post by ndum » 2 people like this post

Is it possible to announce an exact (new) release date?

Thanks! ;)