Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mog54
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Azure blob archive tier + veeam restore

Post by mog54 »

Hello,

i try to use veeam and azure blob storage.

i made backup to azure without problem, but i failed to restore data.

i tested to configuration:

-backup and restore to azure cool tier azure container => backup is ok,restore to my localy hyperv is ok.
-backup and restore to azure archive tier azure container => backup is ok,restore to my localy hyperv is failed,i got a http 409 error in veeam log file.

i manualy change the tier from cool to archive via azure storage explorer software.

is there something i'm missing ?

Thanks you for your help
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Azure blob archive tier + veeam restore

Post by Gostev »

You're missing the system requirements :D see here > Supported Azure Storage Account Types

Please note that the Archive Tier is not designed for backups in principle, but rather for... err, archiving on a very long term retention! So we're talking "Write Once Read Never" type of use cases, as opposed to "backup and restore a few days later". It's just too expensive and slow to use this tier for the latter.

Note that our next version (v11) will be able to archive your oldest GFS backups by moving them from Hot/Cool Tiers to the Archive Tier. But this follows the same idea: backups are only moved there once they become old enough for you to actually need to restore from them (except perhaps for legal needs and similar rare situations). But as long as you may need your backups available for operational restores, they should remain in Hot/Cool Tiers.
mog54
Influencer

Post by mog54 »

Ok thanks for your reply.
Note that our next version (v11) will be able to archive your oldest GFS backups by moving them from Hot/Cool Tiers to the Archive Tier. But this follows the same idea: backups are only moved there once they become old enough for you to actually need to ever restore from them (except perhaps for legal needs and similar rare situations). As long as your need your backups available for operational restores, they need to remain in Hot/Cool Tiers.
And if for some reseaon i need to restore from an archive tiers, does the v11 will be able to move backup from archive to cool/hot tier when the restore is triggered ?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yep, that's exactly how it works.

What makes the Archive Tier special is that the data stored there is not immediately available: you must first schedule its retrieval, which can then take several hours depending on the priority of the rehydration (basically, the more you willing to pay for the retrieval, the faster it will happen). But as a result of the retrieval, those archived backups will be published temporarily on cool/hot tiers, where their data is immediately available for restores.

Of course, the whole process is still wizard-driven with Veeam, and you're abstracted from all technicalities: you just pick the archived restore point, choose how fast you want it to become available, and we will take care of the rest. And once all is set and done, we notify you and from this point you're able to perform restores normally. You can also keep extending the time for this archived restore point to remain available on cool/hot tiers, otherwise eventually it will be removed automatically.
mog54
Influencer

Post by mog54 »

Great news, since the v10 is no that old, do you already know when can we expect the v11 to be shipped ?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Our major release cycle is annual, so it should be more or less the same time as v10 this year (Q1).