Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
vuda
Novice
Liked: never

Verify All Items Backed Up - Sharepoint

Post by vuda »

Hi, my first post. I couldn't find this topic during the forum search. Thanks for any help.

Although the VBO history indicates completed backup, how can we reliably verify all items from Sharepoint Online is backed up? What powershell commands would can we use to determine the total items on Sharepoint to which we compare the items reported from VBO?

If not fully backed up, how can we determine which items have not been backed up?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Verify All Items Backed Up - Sharepoint

Post by Mike Resseler »

@vuda

I assume that you created a job that stated that the entire organization (SharePoint Online) should be protected? In that case you should have everything as we connect to the root of the organization and take whatever we receive. There are however a few items that cannot be protected. For example, for Microsoft SharePoint .aspx web pages, version history backup is not supported due to the API limitations. You can find these limitations in the release notes: https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_micr ... tes_rn.pdf
vuda
Novice

Post by vuda »

@Resseler

The created backup job was for objects>sites>[main library from specific site not including personal, communication, and such] level. I understand about the documented limitations, and I wouldn't think such file as .aspx or version history would be backed up. It seems we just need to trust that completed jobs correctly include every files in the selected object site. That, there's no practical method to confirm ourselves. That's the essence of my concern in my post.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

What we do is we download the data the exact same way as any other client does. So if you are missing data, it means that either:
* Files are considered virus or malware by Microsoft themselves (but you will be notified of that in the logs) because then MSFT blocks access to it
* SharePoint Online API's are not returning all the data (but in that case you would be missing the data in your SharePoint portal also
vuda
Novice

Post by vuda »

@Mike:
I don't know whether or not any data is missing from the backup. My question is how do we confirm all selected data [in our case, are normal doc files/folders] on a Site level are fully backed up. With Veeam reported as a successful completed backup job, do we just assume that all files/folders are backed up?

In a very simple scenario for example, one can select a parent folder and choose its property info where it indicates how many files/folders are included. Then, one can compare those files/folders total number to those reported from a full backup.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Today we don't do any verification checks such as your example scenario. We indeed believe all files and folders are protected, as our QA testing shows with every release.