Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gregsmid
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Greg Smid

VM dropped silently from Backup Copy Job

Post by gregsmid »

Hi all,

We recently discovered that a VM silently dropped out of one of our Backup Copy Jobs. There was no alert or indication that anything was wrong... just the VM stopped being processed and just wasn't included in the list of processed VMs in the job report one day. I only discovered the issue because I went to do a restore of the VM and found that it was missing a bunch of retention points that I expected to be there. Nothing changed in the BCJ configuration or in our Veeam infrastructure at the time it stopped being included.

In working with Support on the issue, the fix ended up being just removing the source Backup Job from this BCJ's configuration and then adding it back again (this particular VM is large, and is the only VM in the source Backup Job). Once we did that, the VM started being processed on the next run. Case # 04439786.

The Veeam tech I've been working with indicated that he has seen this issue before, but when I asked if there was an open bug for the issue, he said there is not. Just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue in their environment.

Greg
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: VM dropped silently from Backup Copy Job

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I would recommend to continue working with our support team as the behavior must be clearly explained, maybe some objects (backup job itslef or VM) have got new IDs at the level of Veeam configuration database, for example you re-registered a VM at the level of vSphere inventory. Anyway, this hypothesis could be verified by examining debug logs.

Don't hesitate to request an escalation of the support case if you think that more "precise" investigation is required.

Thanks!