Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
coveytx
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: c covey

'Automount disable' disabling VSS and backup of Veeam server

Post by coveytx »

Hey all,
I'm trying to use Symantec BE 2010 R2 to backup our physical Veeam server. Each time, I get this Windows error, job fails:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details EndPrepareSnapshots({07f793d9-3f8f-4641-8c33-97208749a2b5}) [hr = 0x80070015, The device is not ready.
].

It appears that the diskpart 'automount disable' option keeps the boot partition from receiving a drive letter (http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Micr ... 34360.html)

I'm not going to enable automount, but am wondering, if I give the boot partition a drive letter, will there be any negative consequences regarding Veeam or my SAN?
Otherwise, has anyone else encountered this issue and found another workaround?

Thank you,

Chad
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: 'Automount disable' disabling VSS and backup of Veeam se

Post by Gostev »

Unless your SAN supports mounting LUNs as read-only, by enabling automount you risk corrupting data on your VMFS-5 LUN. Why are you backing up Veeam server at all, are you possibly using local SQL Express install? Might be better to place Veeam DB on your existing SQL, if you have one.
coveytx
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: c covey

Post by coveytx »

Gostev:

Yah, I definitely don't plan on enabling automout. If I lose my Veeam backup server, the best bet would be to have backups of its associated database and then just rebuild the Veeam server with that?

Thank you,

Chad
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Exactly. Just run Veeam setup and point it to the existing configuration database, and you will be good to go in less than 5 mins.