Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
jharma
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Juuso Harma

Restore from Agent backup to Nutanix

Post by jharma »

Hello,
I have following problem with the Agent backup restore to Nutanix. Yes, it can be done, that is not the problem. Problem is that when I choose "Restore entire VM to Nutanix AHV" it creates the VM with wrong settings (1cpu, 1GB ram, Legacy BIOS and SATA disk and it wont create the nic even though it asks for a network mapping). Original VM was on VMware and uses EFI and SCSI so when Veeam restores the VM to Nutanix it wont boot (no OS found, VirtIO is installed to original VM) with Legacy BIOS and SATA-disk. And in Nutanix you cannot change those settings after the VM has been created. If I restore the VM as a disk (VHDX/VMDK), upload it as a DISK to Image Configuration, then create a new VM with EFI BIOS and use that restored disk as SCSI the VM boots to OS. That is quite time consuming and requires a lot of copying and fixing.
So the real question is that is there a way to change the basic settings Veeam uses when it creates the restored VM in the first place so that it would use EFI instead of Legacy BIOS and SCSI instead of SATA?
Thanks in advance.
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 123 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: Restore from Agent backup to Nutanix

Post by ronnmartin61 »

Generally speaking the behavior you're seeing is correct in that we do not inject VirtIO SCSI or networking drivers so the AHV-restored VM will be allocated SATA disk and it is up you post-conversion to add VirtIO networking for Windows for instance. Have you tried running an agentless VMware backup and then running restore-to AHV?
jharma
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Juuso Harma

Post by jharma »

I'm testing this as a transition tool for cases where we cannot get access to the underlying vcenter/ESXi that is hosted by another service provider. That is why the agent backup. Installing VirtIO beforehand is not a problem since we have access to OS layer (besides it would be impossible to install those because the server does not boot to OS with current VM settings).
Is the VM type (1vcpu, 1GB, Legacy BIOS, SATA) defined in some config file (because I would assume that Veeam pushes the config of the created machine via API to Nutanix) and can it be changed to EFI and SCSI?
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 123 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Post by ronnmartin61 »

Ah definitely understand. As far as I'm aware there isn't a way to change the VM defaults for restore-to AHV unfortunately...