Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Drive died, how to run Full Backup when on a schedule?

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi guys,

Our main backup drive started to get bit errors and VeeamB&R kept saying the VIB files were corrupt so we have replaced the drive, renamed the new drive to the old drive letter and name, but VeeamB&R wants the previous files, which no longer exists.

Unfortunately our Hyper-V host doesn't do backups well during the day due to the load, it results in the servers getting too slow and the staff can't do their work, so we can only run backups after hours in a narrow window due to branches in different time zones, when none of the IT staff are around.

How can I tell VeeamB&R to run a Full Backup and ignore the previous versions of Backups that were there? I keep getting the below error for all of the VMs in the backup job:

19/10/2020 7:47:04 p.m. :: Processing SERVER Error: File does not exist. File: [Backup SERVER to FD2020-10-15T190040_C7E7.vib].
Failed to open storage for read access. Storage: [Backup SERVER to FD2020-10-15T190040_C7E7.vib].

Basically I want to run an "Active Full", but on the usual backup schedule. I figure I need to clean the database of that backup job's previous run history?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6727 times

Re: Drive died, how to run Full Backup when on a schedule?

Post by Gostev »

If you have a scale-out backup repository, there's an option to create new full backup when the previous backups are not available.

If you have a regular repository, then enabling the rotated drives option temporarily should do the trick. This makes the job not to worry about missing backup files, as this is perfectly normal for a repository backed by rotated drives, and just create a new active full.

And worst case, remember you could always use a Windows Task Scheduler to schedule an Active Full backup to start at any time you like!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

AlexLeadingEdge wrote:I figure I need to clean the database of that backup job's previous run history?
Just a couple of ideas: this option might be a way to go or you can also remove records about the whole backup from database but in this case previous restore points will not be available unless you import the backup.

Thanks!
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Oh dear, I forgot to hit Submit on my last message...

I logged into the backup server at some ungodly hour of the night and started an Active Full backup.

We have had a look at a scale-out backup repository and it could be of interest. We're wondering what happens when a drive dies, is the Full Backup on multiple drives?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No, each file is stored on a single extent.