Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
namor38
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Namor

vCenter Upgrade (6.5 > 6.7) Veeam Collector process

Post by namor38 »

Hi

How is the process for a vCenter upgrade (Appliance 6.5> 6.7).
We are using the latest version of Release 8. Now I'm interested in how that works exactly.

Reason: i upgraded the appliance. Now the Veeam Collector Server shows me all ESXI hosts separately.
If I want to add the vCenter, I get a message that the hosts are already connected. But I want the vCenter again as the higher-level object.

I have other vCenters which need to be updated.

Hence like question:
How can I put the existing situation back in order?
What do I have to do before the next upgrade?
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: vCenter Upgrade (6.5 > 6.7) Veeam Collector process

Post by Alec King » 2 people like this post

Hi,
I believe that you took the vCenter offline for upgrade while it was still connected to the Veeam Collectors (i.e. checked in Veeam MP web UI)
This would trigger the failover technology of Veeam MP, assuming that vCenter is down, the Collectors would initiate direct connections to hosts so that monitoring could continue. As part of this process the vCenter connection would be automatically 'unchecked'.
To restore the previous connection to vCenter only, remove the direct-host connections in the Veeam MP web UI (VMware Servers tab). You can then re-check the vCenter connection.

For future vCenter upgrades, you should disable the failover feature of Veeam MP by putting the 'vCenter link' item into maintenance mode in SCOM - instructions here in the User Guide.

Hope that helps!
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
namor38
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Namor

Post by namor38 »

Hi Alec

Thank you for your response.

I have just deleted the individual host connections and then added the vCenter again. It worked so well.
For the next vCenter, I will proceed according to your description and guide. Thank you.

Have a nice Weekend
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Thanks, you have a nice weekend too! :)