PowerShell script exchange
rmeyer5
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rene Meyer

SureBackup and using VM Tags to select the backups

Post by rmeyer5 »

Hi

I'm using powershell automate most of my work on a daily basis.

I've been using powershell to (VM) tag our servers globally since it could be used for backup's in Veeam, I think this is very helpfull, and also allow admins who don't have access in Veeam to assign backup policies to their servers.

I've started to looking into automating SureBackup, but I've run into a MAJOR issue (for me when I want to use powershell).

When you use tags for backups, you can't do a simple "Get-VBRJobObject", as the only object in there is the tag, not the machines
Like this:
Get-VBRJob -Name "Backup Job 1" | Get-VBRJobObject -Name *ServerName*
This returns nothing, as there's no machines, only a tag

Get-VBRJob -Name "Backup Job 1" | Get-VBRJobObject -Name *TagName*
This returns the tag object, but I can't find a way to retrieve the "Veeam.Backup.Core.CObjectInJob" of the machines

And I need this type of object to run the "New-VBRSureBackupVM" commandline

Any advice on how to get this object so I can get it working ?

I'm out of ideas right now :(

(Case #04425786)
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: SureBackup and using VM Tags to select the backups

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Rene,

The entity you add as an object to your job becomes the child one with no other sub-levels. So, no way to get it working currently just yet.
However, we prepared -Tag parameter in New-VBRSureBackupVM cmdlet for v11, which will allow you to invoke it on tags normally.

Thanks,
Oleg
moquai2020
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Kuster

Re: SureBackup and using VM Tags to select the backups

Post by moquai2020 »

Hi Rene,

I have the same problem but found a workaround that works for me. In a scheduled script I delete the application group and the sure backup job. Then I search for a random vm name (string) and add a new application group
-> $AppGroup = Add-VSBViApplicationGroup -Name $AppGroupName -VmFromBackup (Find-VBRViEntity -Name $backups[$randomVmNr]) -> $backups is a array of strings. Then I add a new surebackup job and use the new application group.
-> $VsbJob = Add-VSBJob -Name $SbJobName -VirtualLab $VirtualLab -AppGroup $AppGroup -Description $SbJobDesc
This way I can test one random vm per day in the surebackup job and don't need to change the application group and don't need the Veeam.Backup.Core.CObjectInJob. A disadvantage is that you have no statistic history because you have every day a new surebackup job. Maybe it helps you.

But I also hope for v11 and -Tag parameter in New-VBRSureBackupVM cmdlet ;)

Best regards
Thomas