Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Massimo Vitali
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Massimo Vitali

Splitting license between two Virtual Center

Post by Massimo Vitali »

Can the same Veeam B&R license be used on two separate infrastructures, if the total numer of sockets in use on both infrastructures is less than or equal to the total number of licensed sockets?
We have a Backup&Replication license V9 for 18 sockets that we are using in our old production environment (vSphere 5/6).
We recently purchased a new infrastructure with 4 single socket hosts. The new infrastructure is completely separated fron the old one, with its own Virtual Center (vSphere 7) and a separate Veeam Server (V10). The new Veeam Server is currently using the Trial license. We already migrated a subset of VM's from the old infrastructure to the new one, and we are discontinuing some of the old servers, so the current number of backed up sockets on the old infrastructure is 14.
I just generated the license key for Veeam V10 on the Veeam portal, but before installing and using it on the new infrastructure (of course only for the 4 remaining sockets), I am wondering if I am still compliant with the license terms. The total number of socket in use in both infrastructures would still be 18, but split on two different Veeam servers using the same license (V9-key on the old infrastructure and V10-key on the new one).
Is this technically feasible? And is this compliant with the license terms or I have to purchase a new separate license?
Thank you very much in advance
Massimo
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Splitting license between two Virtual Center

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Massimo!

Sure, as long as total consumed license counter is within given limit, you are able to copy-paste license file as much as you want. You should have the Veeam Enterprise Manager connected to both networks to distribute licenses among VBR Servers using a single key, though. This is covered in paragraph 1.3 of the Veeam Licensing Policy.

/Thanks!