Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
atakacs
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Alexandre Takacs

V10 Install fails

Post by atakacs »

Hello

I am having an issue installing v10 (CE) on a server 2019 - basically the install fails without any specific error, just an advise to consult the logs, which I have tried without any obvious lead showing up.

I have submitted a ticket 04075487 but it was discarded due to lack of resources.

I'd really like to give a try to v10 (and potentially become a paying customer) but not a good start...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: V10 Install fails

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Alexandre,

Cannot help without looking through the logs, but what you can do is verify that all required prerequisites are met (from the release notes) and try again. If this does not help, then try to install it on another 2019 server to see if this makes any difference or not. If these servers are VMs created from the same template, then there could be an issue with the template.

Hope this helps!
atakacs
Enthusiast

Post by atakacs »

Hi

Thanks - this seems to be specific to that server. Maybe of note, v.9 was installed at some point (but - to the best of my knowledge - fully de-installed. Is there some "removal" tool or procedure ?).

This is a physical server and I don't seem myself rebuilding from scratch.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

I checked with support and there are no known issues like that at the moment, so this must be something environmental-specific which will require advanced troubleshooting by our engineers via a live support session.

Given the current support load/availability, I'm afraid your only option to solve this fast is going to be using a clean Windows install. Otherwise, you can wait until our support is past the peak load due to all the v10 upgrades done by paying customers, and try opening a free support case again.

Thanks!
atakacs
Enthusiast

Post by atakacs »

Thanks for reaching out - I fully understand your priorities.

Will try to do some self-diagnostic - will let you know if I find something definitive :)
atakacs
Enthusiast

Post by atakacs »

Well I did spend some more time on this one and by doing some monitoring of the setup process and more in-depth research I found this:

Code: Select all

***Veeam***  SRV: [05.04.2020 16:06:48]:<00000001> [VEEAM] Creating empty database (InitialCatalog='VeeamBackup')
***Veeam***  SRV: [05.04.2020 16:06:49]:<00000001> [VEEAM|ERROR] Create failed for Database 'VeeamBackup'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.FailedOperationException)
***Veeam***  SRV: [05.04.2020 16:06:49]:<00000001> [VEEAM|ERROR]    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SqlSmoObject.CreateImpl()
***Veeam***  SRV: [05.04.2020 16:06:49]:<00000001> [VEEAM|ERROR]    at Veeam.Backup.DBCreator.DatabaseCatalog.Create()
***Veeam***  SRV: [05.04.2020 16:06:49]:<00000001> [VEEAM|ERROR] An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ExecutionFailureException)
***Veeam***  SRV: [05.04.2020 16:06:49]:<00000001> [VEEAM|ERROR]    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(String sqlCommand, ExecutionTypes executionType)
***Veeam***  SRV: [05.04.2020 16:06:49]:<00000001> [VEEAM|ERROR]    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(StringCollection sqlCommands, ExecutionTypes executionType)
***Veeam***  SRV: [05.04.2020 16:06:49]:<00000001> [VEEAM|ERROR]    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SqlSmoObject.CreateImplFinish(StringCollection createQuery, ScriptingPreferences sp)
***Veeam***  SRV: [05.04.2020 16:06:49]:<00000001> [VEEAM|ERROR]    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SqlSmoObject.CreateImpl()
***Veeam***  SRV: [05.04.2020 16:06:49]:<00000001> [VEEAM|ERROR] Cannot create file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.VEEAMSQL2016\MSSQL\DATA\VeeamBackup.mdf' because it already exists. Change the file path or the file name, and retry the operation.
***Veeam***  SRV: [05.04.2020 16:06:49]:<00000001> [VEEAM|ERROR] CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors. (System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException)
***Veeam***  SRV: [05.04.2020 16:06:49]:<00000001> [VEEAM|ERROR]    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.ExecuteTSql(ExecuteTSqlAction action, Object execObject, DataSet fillDataSet, Boolean catchException)
***Veeam***  SRV: [05.04.2020 16:06:49]:<00000001> [VEEAM|ERROR]    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(String sqlCommand, ExecutionTypes executionType)
Sure enough, despite having removed a previous install a few months ago, including SQL server, the underlying database files are still present.

So what about re-running the install and selecting the now supposedly existing DB (the installer having created an SQL instance will now show it) ? Haha, no such luck, despite the instance being seen by the installer and proposed as a target the install script will still try to create the underlying files, thus raising an exception. Next, I thought - easy enough: just remove those files. But that should not work because now SQL is already installed? Still worth a try. Yes removing the files is possible (the instance exists but clearly doesn't run) and still letting the installer propose that instance will eventually create the underlying DB files and allow you to complete the setup.

So if anyone runs into this here we are :)
MNCowboy
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Deniece Greenwood

Post by MNCowboy »

You said "Next, I thought - easy enough: just remove those files. But that should not work because now SQL is already installed? Still worth a try. Yes removing the files is possible (the instance exists but clearly doesn't run) and still letting the installer propose that instance will eventually create the underlying DB files and allow you to complete the setup." -- What files did you remove? thx
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Hey Deniece,

Pretty sure it's the MDF/LDF files in the MSSQL Program Files/[version]/Data folder.

But there's no need for this -- I've bumped on this with clients before and just change the name of the database in the installer window (e.g., from VeeamBackup to VeeamBackup_1) and it should work.
atakacs
Enthusiast

Post by atakacs »

Pretty sure it's the MDF/LDF files in the MSSQL Program Files/[version]/Data folder.
Indeed
But there's no need for this -- I've bumped on this with clients before and just change the name of the database in the installer window (e.g., from VeeamBackup to VeeamBackup_1) and it should work.
That's indeed another way to do it.