Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cby
Expert
Liked: 6 times

Independent snapshots and delayed backups

Post by cby »

I know this has been mentioned in the past (though I can't locate the posts)...

Is there any likelihood that Veeam backup will/can support the ability to perform the VM snapshot element of the backup process as a separate procedure, and allow the actual backup to be undertaken at a later time?

The reason for this is that we want to perform all snapshots within a given time-frame and allow backups to be performed outside this period. And before anyone starts suggesting hot-backups and the like, that is not an option in our setup (much to my annoyance!). We are looking at deploying additional Veeam backup servers some time in the future to help spread the load for a growing number of concurrent jobs. The multiple snapshot option therefore seems to be the best alternative.

We currently construct the job contents and the schedules as efficiently as possible given our infrastructure.

Irrespective of addressing our particular issue the idea of multiple independent snapshots for delayed backups seems sensible.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Independent snapshots and delayed backups

Post by Gostev »

That would result in multiple VMs running off snapshots for extended periods of time. Not really feasible approach due to all the limitations of VMware snapshots.
cby
Expert

Post by cby »

I take your point but it would be during quiet periods. Also different approaches such as hot-backups are meant to address our kind of requirement...speak to the DBAs!

Are you saying it's not feasible on a technical level or just not something Veeam feel is worth pursuing?

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Technical level. Would cause too much grief around snaphot commit and associated application timeouts, as well as negative performance from SCSI reservations from multiple hanging snapshots (on non-VAAI storage). I believe VMware intends to improve snapshot handling down the road though, so may be in future this will become feasible.
cby
Expert

Post by cby »

Ok, thanks. Looks like I have ammunition to get the additional Veeam backup server deployed sooner than planned ;) Easier than convincing DBAs to listen.

As a matter of interest do you know whether other VM backup solutions employ similar snapshot strategy to Veeam?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Considering that VMware snapshot is the only supported way to backup VMware, yes of course :)
cby
Expert

Post by cby »

Fair comment - was really wondering about multiple independent snapshots as requested. Guess I'll just have to ask them ;)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

From our competition, no one uses this for sure.

But why are you pursuing the concept that is simply unusable in production environment? I did not sound convincing enough explaining why you should not be doing this? If you don't believe me, I can dig up VMware whitepaper on performance impact of multiple snapshot on the same LUN. And as for commit of large snapshots, you don't even need to leave this forum to see how much issues this causes.
cby
Expert

Post by cby »

Not multiple snapshots on the same LUN.

Anyway, I have enough to support my argument that this is not a viable way forward.

Thanks for the input...I was playing devil's advocate rather than blindly pursuing a concept!