Liked: never

Recovering from lost backup directory

Post by Fox54 »

Hi,

We lost the directory where the backup files of thew VM were stored

I managed to restore the SQL database from a backup

I have all the *.vrb files of the backup jobs but i lost all the *.vbk files

Now when I run the backup it reports:

Storage file 'C:\vmbackup\xxxxxxxxxxx.vbk' is missing from host 'My Computer'. If you are using initial replica seeding, please follow the instruction from the readme.txt file in the chosen seeding location. If you changed replica destination in the replication job settings, please make sure you have moved all replica files to the new destination correctly.

Is there a way to "reset" the replica status so the software will regenerate the *.vrb file and start to save the deltas in the *.vbk files without regenerating all my backup jobs ???
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Recovering from lost backup directory

Post by Gostev »

Hi, you are jumping back and forth between backup and replication in your explanation, so I am confused what type of job are you actually using, what exactly did you lose, etc.
Fox54
Enthusiast

Post by Fox54 »

Hi,

For the backup jobs: i lost all the .vbk files. All i have is the .vrp (the files contaiing the last VM backup). Now when i restart the jobs it complains about .vbk files beeing missing.

For the replication jobs: My SQL backup was taken once a day so some of my replication jobs are ok, but some complains about the .vbk beeing missing.

Also most of the jobs reports this. I think it's when the shadow copy of the OS is being taken:

Starting guest agent
Cannot connect to host [x.x.x.x] over VIX library. Login: [root]. GuestLogin: [domain\user].
Cannot login into the virtual machine: [[Storage1] vm1/vm1.vmx]. User: [domain\user].
VIX Error: The guest does not support empty passwords Code: 3033

Freezing guest operating system
Veeam Guest Agent is not started

I retype the passwords in all the jobs but still this error comes on. The veeam guest agent is not installed on any VM. It was not before and all was working well.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Actually, latest VM backup is contained in the VBK file, VRBs are reversed increments going from that VBK, and they are useless without this VBK. Unfortunately, you would have to start from scratch and perform full backup/replication again.

As for the error, please contact our support for troubleshooting.
Fox54
Enthusiast

Post by Fox54 »

Hum!

What i have is the .VBK file (the latest with the complete VM)

The .vrb should be the the differencial.

So how come the report is telling that C:\vmbackup\xxxxxxxxxxxtimedate.vbk' is missing.

It should say that C:\vmbackup\xxxxxxxxxxxtimedate..VRB is missing
Fox54
Enthusiast

Post by Fox54 »

Ok i see the point

I restarted from scratch

Works now