Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
RWeiss
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Guest Interaction Proxy in VM

Post by RWeiss »

I would like to install a guest interaction proxy in a VM - main reason being that I don't want to open ports to all VMs in a specific VLAN to my backup server and would like to utilize a proxy so I only have to open ports to a single VM.
Now, in the manual I can see that guest interaction proxies are supported on both virtual machines and physical machines. However, Veeam requires the Hyper-V role to be installed in the VM which is usually not supported or recommended (there seem to be ways to override this, but I am unable to install the role in a VM, which makes sense).

Am I missing something or what is the recommended way to go about this in a Hyper-V environment?

Many thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Guest Interaction Proxy in VM

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
However, Veeam requires the Hyper-V role to be installed in the VM
where did you read that requirement? I cannot see it in https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Best regards,
Hannes
RWeiss
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Re: Guest Interaction Proxy in VM

Post by RWeiss »

Hi Hannes,

Then I think I was on the wrong path to create the proxy I realize now - I wanted to add the proxy through Backup Infrastructure -> Backup Proxies but I guess this is just for Off-Host Proxies and has nothing to do with guest interaction proxies.
So to add a proxy I have to add the server to Managed Servers first and then I can already select it in the backup job as a guest interaction proxy - I was not aware of that.

Great then, that makes it a lot easier and the problem is obviously solved.

Thanks a lot