Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
DWZH
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Feature Request: Veeam Configuration Bacup to S3

Post by DWZH » 1 person likes this post

I would like to see a way to use
  • directly buckets as a target for the config backup
  • Configure multiple targets to have the config backup on multiple location
Think about this: Object storage would be the perfect fit for the configuration backup. Just a file copied to object storage (perfect use case), the config is offsite, so in case your VBR goes up in flames you have the encrypted config in a bucket of the provider of your trust.

For the second point: When multiple target can be configured we could use a local disc on VBR where we can directly access it and on the same time have an offloading into the cloud.

A third option would be to use object lock (immutable) config backup. So even ransomware or an insider attack on the VBR would not be a problem to get the config back. Of course assuming that the rest of the data is protected to. But at the moment the single point of failure on the object storage scenario with object lock is the VBR config backup / file.

I don't see any problems here with the buckets, if the buckets are only used for the config backup. on a DR szenario you only setup VBR and put in the credentials of the bucket. From this point you gain access to your config (of course you need the encryption key if the backup is encrypted).

This Feature would help me on a lot of scenarios from small to medium business customers
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Feature Request: Veeam Configuration Bacup to S3

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Greetings.

Thanks for feedback. Noted both improvements for future versions!

/Cheers!