Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
esoo
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Erik Soosalu

Make sure to Audit your reports

Post by esoo »

Veeam Case# 04438986, VeeamOne version 10.0.2.1094

So my organization is undergoing our annual external audit, for which I need to provide copious amount of session history to the external auditors so they can verify that our backup process works. Historically this means going into the Enterprise Manager, selecting the Job then the session and have to save as the report as for some reason the export is always called "exelreport.csv". Given we have about 40 jobs over 10 days to export, this is tedious

Veeam support suggested using the report "VM and Computer Protection History". This report will give me what I need and I just have to trim some excess data (which in Excel is quick and relatively painless).

The problem is that VeeamOne is not reporting on all the data available to it. Our infrastructure is 4 Veeam B&R instances, connected to a Veeam Enterprise Manager, with VeeamOne connected to the Enterprise Manager. For one of our dates required, VeeamOne is reporting no data from one Veeam B&R instance. It shows the data in the Job History report, but not the "VM and Computer Protection history". The data is available in both the Enterprise Manager and the B&R instance as well. Adding the B&R instance directly to VeeamOne didn't report the data either. This is not consistent however, as I've been able to pull data for that report for other days.

So make sure to audit your reports that they have complete before you hand them to someone else. This would have been an extremely serious issue for us if I hadn't of caught this before giving the report to the auditor.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Make sure to Audit your reports

Post by wishr »

Hi Erik,

Thanks you for the feedback.

All VONE reports are carefully tested and validated by our QC process before being released.

As far as I see from the support case, there is some progress with it and it does not look like a report bug, but more like set of specific circumstances which caused the issue. Please, keep working with the engineer until the issue will be fully resolved and let us know how it goes.

Thanks
esoo
Influencer

Post by esoo »

It turns out that removing and adding the Enterprise Manager made this missing data available. Still very concerning that we hadn't seen an issue with the initial connection, but the data was missing. As I said, this is an external audit we were undergoing and it would have been troublesome to have to deal with.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Erik,

Thanks for reporting back and clarifying it. Did the support engineer determine the root cause of the missing data? It would be beneficial to know what caused this behavior.
esoo
Influencer

Post by esoo »

We did not end up getting to that point. I asked if they needed more data before I removed and re-added the Enterprise Manager and that was not requested. I needed to get the reports done for audit, so it was try this for VeeamOne, or spend two days exporting reports from the Enterprise Manager. Luckily the remove/add worked.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Got it and glad to see at least the workaround did the trick.