Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Avides
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam S3 object storage incremental forever

Post by Avides »

Hello Veeeam community,

actually i'm using the copy mode for the capacity tier in scale-out repository to have a offsite backup, during the setup i read, that it is possible to make these backups immutable.
But a few things are a bit unclear to me and if it's possible with incremental forever.

At the moment i'm running a daily backup of most server (some only weekly) and keep 7 restore points
Let's say i configure immutable for 10 days:
- what happens to backup on day 8? Is it still possible that veeam "include first incremenental in full backup" as soon as restore point 8 appears or will i keep 10 restore points in object storage until "immutable" runs out)
- does it increase storage cost?

Thanks and kind regards

Marc
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2888 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam S3 object storage incremental forever

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
- what happens to backup on day 8?
the software will give you error messages. Immutable means "it cannot be deleted or changed" :D

If you want immutability, then I would recommend a setting like "3 days immutability" and 14 days backup copy job retention. Then everything will work fine with the block generations: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
does it increase storage cost?
at least if you use Amazon, the "increases costs" text in the user interface is true. The explanation about what really happens in background is a little bit complex. To simplify: every 10 days you will pay API costs to extend the immutability on reused blocks. This is already cost-optimized (if you search the forums, then you find some more information, but I recommend to just go with the defaults).

Best regards,
Hannes