jmc
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: jmc

2 * B&R Gateway behind NAT

Post by jmc »

hello @all

i have the following problem:

i have 2 B&R 10a at different location installed. both veeam server should to be connected to one veeam gateway/proxy to store the bc jobs. the target is behind a firewall and the ports must be forwarded to the internal proxy. with the same ports is it unpossible. so i have to change the standard used ports.

which ports and where do I have to adjust them?

for the first server to proxy i have forwarded the standard ports: 2500-5000, 6160-6180, 49152-49407 and 80, 443

thx
jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: 2 * B&R Gateway behind NAT

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
connected to one veeam gateway/proxy to store the
which role do you mean? Gateway (=repository) and / or proxy (VMware proxy?) are different roles with different settings.
bc jobs
is backup copy job, or backup job (I have seen both abbreviations already on the forums)?

Ports are described here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
Port settings can be changed in the managed server section in in "credentials" -> "ports": https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100 . The "run server on this side" setting can help with NAT

Best regards,
Hannes
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

Hello Hannes,

here the complete scene:

2 B&R Servers at different locations - 1 Proxy NAT behind firewall - 3 repository server.

the proxy is per NAT reachable from internet and takes the date. this data will be stored on 3 repo servers only reachable from internal network. the proxy and the repo servers on the same network.

the problem is, that i have only 1 official ip usable. for that i must work with different ports. on the B&R server site i must config to send with alternative ports. the proxy must configure to accept the new ports. the companies compliance prohibits the port change at nat.

is this scene possible?

thx
jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hi Jeff,
is this scene possible?
I would ask the other way round: did my description how to configure it work? :-)

I would not go for that kind of setup for several reasons:
1) two VBR servers should not connect to the same proxies / repositories
2) I did not fully understand your setup and it looks like "it's gonna create problems" (e.g. VCenter connections are not clear to me)

To summarize: I recommend to use normal routing (site-to-site VPN) instead of NAT.

Best regards,
Hannes
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

hi hannes,

we have tested this scene before and no problems with proxy are anything else. everything worked fine. but in this scenario we had internal links without firewall and nat. btw we will accept your reasons and will follow them.

new idea: we have still the firewall and nat. but now we will use 2 (two) proxies with one repo server (repos are bound per smb share or nfs). in this scene i have one proxy for one b&r server. the problem is still the port modulation. on server side you gave me a link for doing this per credential setting. that's ok, but where can i set the corresponding ports at the proxy?

thx
jeff
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

but in this scenario we had internal links without firewall and nat.
as far as I understand, it's a completely different scenario
on server side you gave me a link for doing this per credential setting
uhm, did you see the port settings on the bottom of that page? They must be set for the machine where the role is deployed
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

hmmm, when i understand this right, than i have a local b&r server under backup infrastucture and one more remote proxy. at the beginning i have still a windows server and invite this server to the infrastructure. for this invite i use the remote server credentials and define the ports. when i have a connection in the b&r server then i add a proxy remote to this server. during the installation the ports will be set correct with my values and it should work.

that's right?

jeff
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

ports will be set correct with my values
yep. but I cannot guarantee that it really works. It's a not-recommended setup that I do not fully understand.

Please test and be happy if it works :-)