Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
caustic386
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Bumpas

Veeam and BackupExec VMware agent

Post by caustic386 »

In our environment, we do not have a lot of extra disk space. However, we do receive Symantec NFR licenses for extremely cheap. As such, I'd like to use Veeam for LAN replication and dump my offsite backups straight to tape with BackupExec. Will these 2 conflict in any way if I ensure that the jobs do not overlap?

My main concern is CBT - is the CBT file reset in any way when a replication/backup is run? If so, that would cause blocks to be transferred incorrectly both to tape and to replica. However, if it is simply a table full of timestamps, I don't see why this would be an issue. We would run full backups to tape every weekday, with a single 24 hour replication every day on most of our VMs (maybe more if space allows).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam and BackupExec VMware agent

Post by Gostev »

This question is answered in the sticky FAQ topic.
caustic386
Enthusiast

Post by caustic386 »

I did read that, but I wanted to verify. vRanger suffers from this issue, for reasons currently unknown despite their support making the same statements as your FAQ.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Cannot comment on vRanger issues ;)

By the way, why do you want to actually backup VMs with BackupExec, as opposed to simply using it to backup Veeam backup files to tape? This is what most of our customer do. You current plans basically means backing up the same VM twice, not very optimal.

Other than that, absolutely no issues with doing what you want to do.
caustic386
Enthusiast

Post by caustic386 »

I would need the extra disk space to store the Veeam backup files. With BE, I can backup VMs straight to tape and skip the need for any excess disk space. Because the replication system can also hold restore points, we'll still have immediate access to rollbacks but also gain HA in the process.

I'm still testing replication vs backup in our WAN environment, but there is no doubt that we'll be replicating on LAN for HA.