Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

What does the Machines count in Enterprise Manager actually represent?

Post by soncscy »

Hi all,

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what the Summary Widget in enterprise manager really represents when it comes to machines.

My specific question: What is the formula used to calculate 'Processed Machines' in Enterprise Manager's Summary Widget?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

The user guide mentions "processed machines", but what exactly is the calculation to get this count?

I tested this in a lab for a bit with a Veeam Server that had normal disk backups, tape backups, and storage snapshots, and I just cannot seem to understand exactly how this number is reached:

1. VMs that were on both Disk and Tape seemed to be counted twice
2. Storage Snapshots also seemed to be a factor? (I hit some issue trying to remove the storage device, but that's not important to me right now)
3. VMs that were duplicated in disk based jobs did not seem to increase/decrease the count when adding/removing
4. VMs that were duplicated in jobs based on different mediums did seem to increase/decrease the count when adding/removing

I'm really lost here :D Is there anywhere this formula for calculating "Processed Machines" is listed that I am just missing? Every theory I had seemed to not play out with my testing and I just can't seem to get my head around it.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: What does the Machines count in Enterprise Manager actually represent?

Post by foggy »

Hi Harvey, the processed VMs count takes into account all types of jobs and counts the same VM multiple times if it is involved in different jobs. I'm not sure what do you mean by "disk based jobs" though.
soncscy
Veteran

Post by soncscy »

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for that reply, but I'm still not certain this is really accurate.

When I say disk jobs, I guess I mean those that land on spinning disk, not like tape backup jobs or storage snapshot jobs. So I mentally separate those that target disk based backups (primary VM backups/Agents backups, backup copies), tape backups, and those that are in storage snapshots.

So, tell me if I'm right then:

If I have a VM and I do the following and all these jobs are successful:

1. Backup the VM with a normal vm backup job
2. Include the VM in a storage snapshot only job
3. Backup Copy of the Backup Job
4. Tape Backup of the Backup Copy

I should expect the counter to be 4 for processed machines?

This is strange for me since I was testing with Backup copies and even just now made a new one, and it did not increase the counter adding several machines and collecting the data multiple times.

Is it possible just to have the actual equation?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Clarified with R&D, in the case the new backup copy contains the same VMs that are already included in other backup copy job(s), the VMs are counted once. The logic that tracks VMs in the database takes into account the job type but doesn't count the same VM in the job of the same type several times.
soncscy
Veteran

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

I really appreciate you looking into this, Alexander.

This explains my testing a lot and now I get what likely was happening.