Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
teamnoc
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Backup Copy - number of retention points

Post by teamnoc »

Hello,

We have many backup jobs with secondary destinations for monthly schedules.
We set the minimum number of restore points (i.e. 2), i assume there should be 1 full and 1 increment: the image 1.

but in every jobs we have, there are more full backups than what is set: the image 2

Does anyone know why and more importantly, how to solve that to reduce the amount of backed up data and gain space.

Thanks,
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backup Copy - number of retention points

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

You have 2 monthly fulls and 1 regular full: exactly what you have configured in backup job settings. You can disable GFS in primary backup job settings.

If the purpose is to have long-term retention policy with the secondary destination, I guess you should enable GFS in backup copy settings.

Thanks!
teamnoc
Novice

Post by teamnoc »

Thanks for you for you reply.
The captures I provided are from a backup copy job, not a primary backup job, just to be sure that's what you understood.
My interrogation is I have a primary job, and a secondary job where i want to keep one more full for 1 month. But I end end with 3.
Should i undertand in the capture i provided that there a 2 resore points (minimal value) i.e 2 fulls + it shows 1 full from the primary job?

I will try and look at the GFS parameters in the primary job.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Have you recently changed backup method from active to synthetic or scheduling settings for the given backup copy job? In this case, having two monthly full backups are expected. Otherwise, reach our support team for assistance. Thanks!
teamnoc
Novice

Post by teamnoc » 1 person likes this post

Thanks, we will wait a few weeks to see if it clears out, and then we'll take a decision. thanks